Expired thanks all! Which brand of stock????

Share your thoughts and experiences with me on stock brand preferences please. I'm looking at a traditional style / type without the vertical grip!!. I'll be using a proof sendero /24 barrel with a kratos light action in 25/06. I'll be walking with it, climbing in out of tree stands, using in shooting house etc , kind of an all-around rifle. Have been investigating stocky's stocks , McMillan and AG composites. Thanks for your help. Tribb

My preference in stocks leans towards McMillan and for a lower cost option, I like the Bell & Carlson stocks. I've got 6 McMillan stocks and 3 Bell & Carlson stocks.

The McMillan stocks I have are the molded in color and have better fit & finish than the Bell & Carlson stocks I have. However, I have equally good results accuracy wise with either of them.

Regarding the vertical grip, I used to not want a vertical grip until I got my McMillan Game Scout stock. Now I want another one to go on another of my guns. The vertical grip stocks can be used as easily (perhaps more so) as the standard "sporter" style grip in situations where you would think the vertical grip would be a hindrance. Plus, the vertical grip also offers the advantage of bringing characteristics to the table when a vertical grip is preferred over a more traditional style sporter grip.

My preference in stocks leans towards McMillan and for a lower cost option, I like the Bell & Carlson stocks. I've got 6 McMillan stocks and 3 Bell & Carlson stocks.

The McMillan stocks I have are the molded in color and have better fit & finish than the Bell & Carlson stocks I have. However, I have equally good results accuracy wise with either of them.

Regarding the vertical grip, I used to not want a vertical grip until I got my McMillan Game Scout stock. Now I want another one to go on another of my guns. The vertical grip stocks can be used as easily (perhaps more so) as the standard "sporter" style grip in situations where you would think the vertical grip would be a hindrance. Plus, the vertical grip also offers the advantage of bringing characteristics to the table when a vertical grip is preferred over a more traditional style sporter grip.
I agree 100% percent, I see no drawbacks shooting off hand with the vertical grip and the obvious gains when shooting prone and such

Share your thoughts and experiences with me on stock brand preferences please. I'm looking at a traditional style / type without the vertical grip!!. I'll be using a proof sendero /24 barrel with a kratos light action in 25/06. I'll be walking with it, climbing in out of tree stands, using in shooting house etc , kind of an all-around rifle. Have been investigating stocky's stocks , McMillan and AG composites. Thanks for your help. Tribb
I have several AG stocks and I am very happy with them

Mcmillan hunter is the best stock that fits that description I've come across.

Not a mcmillan rem hunter, a mcmillan hunter.

If you can put up with the slightly vertical gunwerks stuff that's even better

I prefer more vertical grips now in general for everything

take a look at the peak 44 blacktooth stocks, I've got the bastion with the vertical grip and like it a lot more than my mesa precision because it is skinnier in the palm

Share your thoughts and experiences with me on stock brand preferences please. I'm looking at a traditional style / type without the vertical grip!!. I'll be using a proof sendero /24 barrel with a kratos light action in 25/06.

To me, that description kind of screams an M40 style stock from McMillan.

M40a1 is a good shape for me for an all rounder that can work for prone and some offhand. Kinda in between true vertical and sporter style.

It has been a while, but at one time McMillian or Manners would send you 2-3 model stocks so you could actually feel them and decide.

McMillan HTG or Remington Classic (I have a similar on a Ruger tanger).

If looking at those, don't write off Manners.
Manners EH2 has a narrower forend and isn't supposed to allow for a heavy barrel, but I did a CF in one and it worked/looked ok. For a wider forend they have the MCST, but it is a little bit wider/square. These have a little bit higher comb and don't drop off like the HTG.