Ever See Donkeys in with Livestock?

My neighbors donkey was just killed and eaten entirely by wolves last Friday. It got loose and was in the woods, not pasture and had its halter/lead on. The tried getting him for two days. He had just picked up the donkey and I don't think it was liking the new home. All that was left was the chewed halter. No bones hide. All gone. Just hair and wolf scat and tracks. This one came through my place two days prior and was most likely one of the culprits.

View attachment 576876
Boom

I had 2 Jack's running with my cattle. They were semi-pets, meaning they would allow you to feed them without getting killed. I watched them work over a pack of 5 coyotes. They killed 3 of them and the other 2 limped off with the the Jack's chasing them off the property. They bit, kicked and stomped them. It was a hell of a sight. I think the cows even said...let's leave them alone.

Mules and donkeys are a very effective deterrent to coyotes on goat/cattle farms. Be sure to get the females that have the instilled protective "mother" instinct.

When I lived in Az, we had horses and mules. We had to sort out which mules and an occasional horse were ok around dogs when we went on rides where some families would let their family dog tag along. This was especially true of the mules we rode when lion hunting. When the dogs tree a lion, the instinct in the mule comes out to stomp and kick anything that looks like a predator. Some mules could not be trusted around dogs for lion hunting. You can not believe the power of a large mule has in it's fore limbs. They will watch a dog, let him get close, and with a flick of a front foot, that dog goes sailing in a mili-second. Some mules want to kill the lion as much as the dogs do, or in the least help the dogs, it is all you can do to control a mule like this.

I had a 1/4 horse that hated dogs, coyotes etc. I buried a few when I showed in morning to feed. Gentle horse otherwise. Just like being a flamingo dancer at times. 🤷🏻‍♂️
IMG_9566.jpeg

Muddy, I had a horse identical to yours, 15.1 hands, gentle as a kitten but really detested dogs. A neighbor's chicken got in his feed bowl one night, he slowly picked up his foot, and squashed that chicken flat! Then used his nose to turn the bowl over, kicking one back foot! I miss that horse.

I was at a farm where I hunted with him helping farmer with stubborn Charolais bull out in pasture and got him back into his pen. Couple deer came out into pasture and farmer said rope one! Laughed and said no freaking way. Told me if so didn't rope one I would lose hunting privileges! What! So game on! I got about 50 yds from big doe and she took off. My horse was roper so he knew the game and hit warp. Surprised I caught her pretty fast and as I started loop, doe took 90° turn at 35mph while we just went straight! Horse pulled up and I could tell he was what the! Spun around and caught her pretty fast again and she did same turn. Heck my horse would break leg trying to do that. This went on few more times and became apparent the doe was having fun now!😂 Could care less about us running her down knowing her turns were impossible for us. Rode back to farmer and I had to wait 10 minutes for him to stop laughing! Yeah, still hunted there, he said worth the entertainment!

My dad used to tell a story of the area we hunted as a kid, it seemed fitting for this topic. There were cattle in the area that someone had a livestock lease on the public land, so this is very possible and I have no reason to disbelieve it. We would see cattle quite often on certain areas of the hunting unit.

His story: one year him and my grandpa were up there hunting. As they were on the forest service road they pulled off to let another truck pass. The guys stopped and asked if they had and luck. My dad said not yet, expecting them to keep going. The other driver said we got one this morning want to see 'em? They were from out of state and pretty excited about getting deer in Colorado. My dad said ok to be nice. He and my grandpa got out, and the guys pulled a tarp back and they had they had a dead donkey in the truck. My dad told them thats not a deer, and there is a game check station before the main road hits the highway. He and grandpa got in the truck, and didn't say anything else to those guys so never knew what happened.

Donkey makes for some good eating also.

I was down in Baja North, Mexico in the 80s hunting predators. The area was desolate. We ran across a couple of Mexicans in a 53 Chevy pick up with side body's on the back. They had caught a Donkey in a trap. The lower radiator hose was busted, and were stranded. We were in the middle of no where. I had a roll of duct tape and extra water. We taped up the lower radiator hose, added water, and you would think that we had given them a winning lottery ticket!

No one in my truck could speak a word of Spanish, and they could not understand English. I asked them what they were going to do with the donkey, and they indicated through rubbing their stomach and a feeding motion that they were going to eat the donkey. We found it hard to believe, but these people were extremely poor.

I told them that I would follow them and add water as necessary to their truck, which they were very grateful for. When they pulled up at the village, it was hard to believe, they had a community well with no electricity, with sun-baked brick huts that were ancient.

Well, they were going to cut the donkey's throat with a short blade knife, and I got out my rifle and asked through hand gestures if they wanted me to shoot the donkey, which they were very thankful for because it was a very dangerous animal. My hunting partner and I skinned and butchered the animal for them.

By this time the Priest had arrived, and he could speak English. The priest told us they would be honored if we stayed for the village meal, which we agreed to. I got to know the mayor of the little village, and he was very appreciative for the help. Through the priest, I told him that we would be back down hunting in two or three weeks and I would bring them another lower radiator hose, and in the meantime, I left them with the water jug and roll of duct tape.

On the next trip down, they had three donkeys in traps, and found out that there were tremendous herds of donkeys in the area. Along with another radiator hose, I brought them a nice 12" butcher knife and steel. The mayor of the village tried to get me to take back one of his daughters as a house maid and cook, but my wife would have skinned me, not to mention the jail time involved.

Donkey makes for some good eating also.

I was down in Baja North, Mexico in the 80s hunting predators. The area was desolate. We ran across a couple of Mexicans in a 53 Chevy pick up with side body's on the back. They had caught a Donkey in a trap. The lower radiator hose was busted, and were stranded. We were in the middle of no where. I had a roll of duct tape and extra water. We taped up the lower radiator hose, added water, and you would think that we had given them a winning lottery ticket!

No one in my truck could speak a word of Spanish, and they could not understand English. I asked them what they were going to do with the donkey, and they indicated through rubbing their stomach and a feeding motion that they were going to eat the donkey. We found it hard to believe, but these people were extremely poor.

I told them that I would follow them and add water as necessary to their truck, which they were very grateful for. When they pulled up at the village, it was hard to believe, they had a community well with no electricity, with sun-baked brick huts that were ancient.

Well, they were going to cut the donkey's throat with a short blade knife, and I got out my rifle and asked through hand gestures if they wanted me to shoot the donkey, which they were very thankful for because it was a very dangerous animal. My hunting partner and I skinned and butchered the animal for them.

By this time the Priest had arrived, and he could speak English. The priest told us they would be honored if we stayed for the village meal, which we agreed to. I got to know the mayor of the little village, and he was very appreciative for the help. Through the priest, I told him that we would be back down hunting in two or three weeks and I would bring them another lower radiator hose, and in the meantime, I left them with the water jug and roll of duct tape.

On the next trip down, they had three donkeys in traps, and found out that there were tremendous herds of donkeys in the area. Along with another radiator hose, I brought them a nice 12" butcher knife and steel. The mayor of the village tried to get me to take back one of his daughters as a house maid and cook, but my wife would have skinned me, not to mention the jail time involved.
GREAT Story! What an adventure. Thanks for sharing.

Horse meat is very good so I guess Donkey would be just as good. When I lived in CT. I had a horse farm and knew a lot of people in the horse community. CT has more horses per capital than TX.
To get to my story there was a Horse Slaughterhouse not too far from where we lived. They would purchase horses by the pound and slaughter them and use everything from the hooves to the mane hair. They would sell the meat to Europe where there is a big market for horse meat. It is illegal to sell Horse meat in the US. The US Government finally shut down the Slaughterhouse.
I'll tell you what all our horses were fed top grain, hay, and field grass. I sure would not mind to eat them. Probably better than most cow meat.

The largest buyer of horse meat from the United States at one time was Iraq. During the Klondike gold rush mule meat was eaten (Canadian bacon) at one time was mule. I have seen mule deer kill coyotes with a well-placed kick or a front hoof strike.

GREAT Story! What an adventure. Thanks for sharing.

Horse meat is very good so I guess Donkey would be just as good. When I lived in CT. I had a horse farm and knew a lot of people in the horse community. CT has more horses per capital than TX.
To get to my story there was a Horse Slaughterhouse not too far from where we lived. They would purchase horses by the pound and slaughter them and use everything from the hooves to the mane hair. They would sell the meat to Europe where there is a big market for horse meat. It is illegal to sell Horse meat in the US. The US Government finally shut down the Slaughterhouse.v
I'll tell you what all our horses were fed top grain, hay, and field grass. I sure would not mind to eat them. Probably better than most cow meat.
Best steak I've ever had was one night in Tanzania after I had shot my Leopard. It's late, we're all tired and dinner is served. Both my wife and flipped out - it was one of the best steaks I'd ever had. Knowing full well we were eating bush meat that we had shot in the last couple of days O I really wanted to know what it was. They clammed up and wouldn't say. After a bit of persuasion - they copped that it was Zebra. Best ever. Period.