Estate sale finally pays off

Ross1147

Wife has been dragging me to estate sales for the last couple years. Never find anything, usually a bunch of crap. Well this morning it paid off. Hit a pretty good stash of reloading items. Picked up a couple hundred 22 cal bullets, several hundred primers, lead shot in all different sizes from buck to #9s, a bucket full of primed 30-30 brass, a pound of H4895 and 2 boxes of 30 cal. All that for $50!!
I ended up leaving more than I took. There were 7 or 8 die sets, a couple Lee presses, bags of 22 hornet / 38-55 / 38 spl brass, couple boxes of 44 cal / 375 cal / 357 cal, 10 ga wads and shot cards, and a few older powders (HS-6/7 / pydrodex / 4198).
The estate owner was also an avid long bow hunter / fly fisher. There were long bows, 1000s of custom made arrows, feather jigs, custom fly poles, fly tying stuff. It was a gold mine!

Attachments

• IMG_4415.jpeg
    IMG_4415.jpeg
    503 KB · Views: 360
I have yet to see guns other than old above the fireplace ones.
It does make you think though. As we were leaving I asked my wife what she would do with all my stuff if I passed. She had no idea what anything is worth. Feel like I should make an inventory and cost….but then she may find out the "real" price of some of my toys and I can't afford her to know that!

I have yet to see guns other than old above the fireplace ones.
It does make you think though. As we were leaving I asked my wife what she would do with all my stuff if I passed. She had no idea what anything is worth. Feel like I should make an inventory and cost….but then she may find out the "real" price of some of my toys and I can't afford her to know that!
Here you there. Recently I wanted this new rifle. My wife advised me that I could have it on the condition that I would get out My rifles and we would write down serial numbers, scope on the rifles and approx value of each rifle and scope combinations. Well when the new rifle slowed up she reminded me of our deal. She is still shaking her head. Haven't had the guts to ask her for anything for at least a month.

Great score! We've been doing this and similar for decades, and while the past few years have been less productive in reloading/shooting supplies, we still find a few good deals. Yesterday, my wife and I found a local estate sale, and I found a few great deals on hand tools, and my wife hit the jackpot on fly tying supplies. Today, she added up the current replacement costs of all the items she bought for $22 total, and to her and my surprise, she calculated from her catalog she purchased $690 worth of fly tying supplies including a new fly tying jig that sells for $185.

I would have loved to find all those shot filled bags. I haven't found shot at yard/estate sales here in a few years.

Last edited:
I went to one estate sale about 2 years ago and had no luck at all I'm still looking for a charge master powder scale I can afford on my fixed income . going to start looking up estate sales in my area on the internet today. if you run into one let me know or pm me on cost.

I went to one estate sale about 2 years ago and had no luck at all I'm still looking for a charge master powder scale I can afford on my fixed income . going to start looking up estate sales in my area on the internet today. if you run into one let me know or pm me on cost.
Yea. It is a hit or miss proposition, but every so often, gold! Before Covid, I guess about one in four or five estate sales we would find hunting/shooting and reloading supplies of enough quality and quantity to make it all worth it. Yard sales a little less, but it had become kinda' a spring hobby for us for a few years. After a while, we learned the better towns/cities and areas and not waste as much time.

Over a few years, we have purchased many thousands of dollars of tools, hand and power, building supplies, various hunting/shooting/reloading supplies, all types of fishing equipment/supplies, optics, spotting and telescopes, etc, etc. All for mere pennies on the dollar. Sometimes, we find items given to us for free, so the relatives of the deceased do not have to pay to have it hauled off. For often, they have no real knowledge of the value nor purpose of the items their deceased relative possessed. I've freely received cases of shotgun shells, electric lead melting/casting pots, untold pounds of lead either in molded form or wheel weights, cleaning kits, bags of unsorted supplies, etc, etc. And every so often, invited into the house to discuss a few firearms for sale.

Placing a free "want to buy" ad in a local sale catalog and/or similar online sales source can generate a few decent leads and opportunities, but use discretion due to potential scammers and crooks.

Happy hunting.