Elk hunting from a tree stand

wildcat westerner

Hello,
I suppose some experienced bowhunter might bust a gut laughing after reading this . I have a chance to hunt a very good elk unit in New Mexico. I am handicapped now and can use a crossbow in this state. Its been over thirty years since I have bowhunted seriously and fully realize how incredibly many details that needed to be addressed in order to be successful, when using a bow.
Since mobility is the issue, that means I shall be setting up a tree stand, and like Antelope hunting, that would mean being in the stand before dawn and not coming down till after sundown. I do have a ground blind but don't believe that would be successful due to the scent situation since the season is more than two weeks long. While you can move around in a ground blind, any movement in the air is bound to draw attention.
I would appreciate it if experienced bowhunters who have been successful elk hunting from a stand would communicate with me. Perhaps some little detail you take for granted, I don't know about and I do not want to find out the "hard " way.

Thanks,

WW

I've got a buddy that successfully hunts elk from a tree stand for the last 10 years here in eastern Washington. Sets up on game trails leading to and from bedding areas. He spent a lot of time setting game cameras to find which trails they used the most, then would put mineral licks in the spot where he'd set his stand.

Thank you! This info is a very good start. I do not know if a mineral lick is legal in New Mexico, but I will find out. Of course trail cams did not exist when I bowhunted long ago.

WW

I hunt New Mexico a lot and most elk hunting in the archery season is done primarily around water holes. Ground blinds are the primary ambush method with them strategically placed according to prevailing wind direction Also, scent protection typically includes the use of scent blocker clothing and the use of Ozonic machines. So, I don't see the need for tree stands as being better since scent control applies there too.

You are probably already aware this. Find as comfortable stand as possible. They make some pretty good harness and safety ropes anymore and are probably well worth the money. Don't forget about the ladder or whatever you plan on using to get up to the tree stand. One thing I have discovered is, take into consideration how hard it is going to be to hang the stand when you are trying to balance yourself on some kind of ladder and hang the stand. Good luck and be safe.

Also, unless you are hunting in the Gila you may have a difficult time finding a suitable tree to hang in a strategic location. Just saying.

Thank you! This info is a very good start. I do not know if a mineral lick is legal in New Mexico, but I will find out. Of course trail cams did not exist when I bowhunted long ago.

WW
You cannot use trail cameras on public land in New Mexico, and salt licks is also a no go. It's listed on page 21 of the rules. Any mineral or scent used to bait: salt is a mineral last I checked. There's some different rules for private land. I think it's needs to be removed 10 days before the season. Idk. I don't hunt private land.

That said, I agree with @Rick Richard. I haven't seen too many trees capable of a bearing a tree stand in areas I've hunted Elk in New Mexico. In General. Even less in areas that you can use an ambush method. If mobility is an issue, the even in Gila, some of the areas I've found Elk were in steep timber country. Idk.
I'd probably be scouting a few areas prior to the season to get a feel for the land and terrain, regarding stand hunting and ambush points.

Last edited:
Here in PA, i do put in for the elk lottery every year.
Hence during the spring and summer I'm scouting for elk as well as deer.
While I haven't been drawn in the lottery yet, i have had numerous times while deer hunting I've had elk within 5 yards of my treestand.

Water isn't usually the top issue here as it may be there.
Bedding and food are the drivers here.

Yep, find a straight bole tree like pine or aspen. As @Rick Richard pointed out, most of the state doesn't have trees like that. Down in the Gila NF or anywhere else that's higher in elevation. There are spots in Santa FE , Carson, and Cibola NFs with that kind of timber as well. You may have to hike to find what you want. Then you'll need to find a water hole to camp over.
If hiking is an issue for you, I'd consider a ground blinds with a comfy seat. Since you're using a rifle, you don't have to be right over the water over.

Tree stand a work great, but sitting all day is waste of time. Rarely will elk move in heat of day. Hunt morning and evenings.

Yes you can use trail cameras in NM you just can't use the ones cell cams that send real time pictures.

Handicapped but you can still climb trees ???

I have taken elk from climbing tree stands and ladder stands. Ladder stands are much easier and much safer to get in and out of. That being said they are much heavier and harder to get in to where you are hunting so accessibility is a factor. If you use a cheap ladder stand (theft concern) get a seat cushion and don't forget it or after 12-14 hours you will have one mother of a case of waffle butt, don't ask me how I know that. If you leave the cushion on the stand bears like to eat them too. With a ladder stand you don't need as big a tree either because a lot of the weight is supported by the ladder legs. You also don't need all 3 sections if you have good cover around you. Elk don't seem to look up as much or be as concerned about something up in a tree. That's not saying you can't get picked off but I have gotten away with some things that a whitetail would have come unglued over. You still need to pick the right time to draw but your using an X-bow so that is not as critical.
You also want to check regs to see about tagging the stand with contact info, time span the stand can be left up and if there any restrictions on type of stand due to tree damage.
The climber is more mobile and gives you more options but lighter and easier to pack gets more expensive and if you leave it overnight people or bears can be a problem.
When we have used stands we are normally at waterholes and you have a chance at elk and bears. Also if you can staying all day is good. I have taken elk and bear in the middle of a hot day when they came for a drink.
Sometimes people frown on stand hunting wanting to, Run and gun" alot of them find out they are better at, "Gunning" then, "Running".
Most important, use a safety harness and use the method that works best for you and your condition. Remember your supposed to be having fun regardless if you get something or not.