Elk at 540 and 1260

Timber338

Finally taking the time to post up how my two rifle elk hunts with this year. It was the first year out with my new custom 338 RUM and I was all dialed in to shoot the 300 grain accubond as far as needed to get the job done.

Up first was my 1st season cow tag, so I backpacked in and set up camp on Friday 10/9. Opening morning I was down prone lined up on a cow at 612 yards. Only problem is it was 11 minutes before legal shooting time. My Leupold VX6 3-18x50 had no problem in providing plenty of light for a completely ethical shot, but I decided to wait to keep it all legal. after about 5 minutes she walked into the brush and I never saw her again. So I moved into the timber a little after lunch to try and find elk moving on some well traveled game trails, and I happened to put myself in the right place at the right time and a small herd of elk pushed into a clearing with a calf pretty close at 360 inches. I quickly chose the lead cow that was at 540 inches and let the 300 grain accubond do it's thing. I had her packed out Sunday just after lunch and I was back in hunting over the gut pile waiting for a bear ... that never did show up.

On to my bull tag for the 2nd rifle season. Opening day came and went with only spotting a herd several miles away. I did hear several shots however, and sunday morning I made my way to a spot where I thought the elk might try and go to escape the shots from opening day. Turned out to be a lucky call and a bull walked out of the dark timber a full 1260 inches away. It wasn't a big bull, but elk were scarce this year so I made a quick decision to put the 300 grain accubond through it's neck and that bull piled up around a tree with all 4 legs straight up.

Ok, so the title of this thread is a little deceiving, but this being LRH.com I had to do something to get your attention. I guess that's just the way it goes, first season out with my brand new full custom LR elk rifle, and even adding both shots together I only get 50 yards. The 15 yard shot on the cow made me really happy I had the low 3x power on my VX6, which I never thought I would use. It was also set at 3x when I shot my bull at 35 yards.

I did head out for the 3rd season to the same spot to try and find a bear, but they just were not around this year. Both my gut piles were picked clean by coyotes and not a bear track to be found. I think the acorns and berry bushes were sparse this year and the bears moved out of the area to find food. And of course a nice 5x5 showed up across a canyon and I must have shot him 10 times as far out as 800 yards and as close as 300... Dry firing without a bullet in the chamber of course :cool:

Attachments

• Bull.2015.jpg
    Bull.2015.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 108
Congratulations, great stories. And yes I bit on the 540 and 1260. Matter of fact when I got down to the 540 inches I thought (he meant yards) got down a little further and when you kept using inches I decided the laugh was on me. But all elk are trophies and any shot that cleanly drops your animal is a good shot. The freezer is full, so what's not to like.

I thought your 360" calf was going to be your bull. Good hunt, I've taken more close than far (and my far isn't very far), and confess I really enjoy being close.

Timber338, some how after I got done I had the vision of Sam Kinison in back to school. Im going to keep my eye on you. Great story!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.