Eliminator III Saserscope-4-16x50mm question

would this scope be ok for long range hunting ?

ref:
"Built-In Laser Rangefinder
Laser range capability out to 1,200-plus yards
with reflective target,
750-plus yards with non-reflective target.
Automatic Trajectory Compensation
Push the button and a bright-red,
illuminated dot signifies your new aiming point.
Easy Programming
The Eliminator III comes with a programming
book, and there is a web site app
to help get the precise programming numbers
you need based on your elevation,
atmospheric condition, and cartridge of choice."

URL:

They're ok. If set up correctly they can make hits past 700 yards. But I also wouldn't trust them past 500 or so in hunting situations. Too many variables that the eliminator won't account for on its own.

So my dad and his hunting partner use them. They are great. You need to verify your bc and drops though. Everything else is on board and works as advertised. Wind is still your enemy.

Now both have made hits out to 800 and taken game past 600 zero issues. My problem is the glass is not great. Think 90's Nikon or leupold. It's ok but not great. But the short is they work great. As stated after 800 things may get a bit off. But I haven't gone past that with it. But come to think of it both are on 6.5 creedmores so the scope really doesn't matter with those. At least not out to a mile.

I've looked at them but never used one. I may be wrong but am under the impression that they aren't legal for hunting in some states.

The only thing I would say against them is what happens when the batteries die in the field? Laser rangefinders die after so long, at least the ones I have purchased, the latest appears to be my Leupold rangefinder, found this out in the field when I could not see the results on screen. My night vision scope, requires me to use a USB battery pack to keep it on longer than 2hrs of use, I doubt the Burris is that short of time, but losing ability in the middle of a hunt sucks.

I did a review on this scope years ago and it was VERY impressive.

The only thing I would say against them is what happens when the batteries die in the field? Laser rangefinders die after so long, at least the ones I have purchased, the latest appears to be my Leupold rangefinder, found this out in the field when I could not see the results on screen. My night vision scope, requires me to use a USB battery pack to keep it on longer than 2hrs of use, I doubt the Burris is that short of time, but losing ability in the middle of a hunt sucks.
Battery fesign is definetely the weak point
in the Burris Eliminator 3 Scope.

As with mobile phone
"you are as mobile as your batteries"
(I carry with me an old mobile phone
just in case because my smart phone
batteries last max one day whereas
my mobile phone I only have to recharge
once a month).

Yes, as mentioned it sucks to
loose your rifle scope laser asset just
because of poor battery.

For example in north Europe temperatures
may drop below -20°C (-68F) during moose
or brown bear hunting and it really sucks
when the Eliminator scope battery gets
exhausted faster than you expected
due to cold temperature - even if you did
your best to keep your rifle covered and warm.

Not designed for demanding hunting fields.

I have guided folks who used them and they did just fine down at -10F and -20F (-23.3C to -28.9C).

They do need to be doped in just like anything else, but for reasonable killing distances for mule deer and elk, they were good for rookies since they didn't have to go back and forth between rangefinders and their gun.

They are not a premium scope, so don't expect top of the line optics performance.
They can also have a co-boresight misalignment between the reticle and the rangefinder but it was typically slight and could be compensated for by the user by aiming the reticle for the rangefinder offset when taking a range. (But that is also true for many rangefinders and range finding binos too)
Like any scope, they need close attention to the mounting to make sure they don't move around on the mounts. I have had to fix several where their owners didn't have them clamped very well which leads to azimuth errors.

Like anything else, you have to make sure these are mounted and used correctly and they can be faster onto the target for folks with low experience finding game in their scopes. YMMV

would this scope be ok for long range hunting ?

ref:
"Built-In Laser Rangefinder
Laser range capability out to 1,200-plus yards
with reflective target,
750-plus yards with non-reflective target.
Automatic Trajectory Compensation
Push the button and a bright-red,
illuminated dot signifies your new aiming point.
Easy Programming
The Eliminator III comes with a programming
book, and there is a web site app
to help get the precise programming numbers
you need based on your elevation,
atmospheric condition, and cartridge of choice."

URL:
Limited range for extended distance shooting. It's a crutch for learning long range shooting skills. Just a smaller hand grenade for being about there. Learn once, happy ever after.

Just to be clear for those that might not know - if the battery dies on these Burris Eliminator laser scopes, the scope still works like a standard, conventional rifle scope. You just lose the rangefinding laser & illumination of aiming point. You will still have crosshairs and can holdover for farther shots, so your hunt isn't over. It's just a "regular" scope w/o battery power, still zeroed at whatever distance you sighted in your gun at.

The Version 5 is much better than the 3. Version 6 allows programing through your phone.

I have Khales scopes, and yes the glass is not great on the 3 and 4 version Eliminators. Five is much better, but still not there. Hoping version 6 is another step up in improvements, and looks a whole lot more traditional.

I own several Eliminators. I really like them obviously, simple to use and program. Could they be better? Definitely, but Burris keeps improving them on a pretty regular basis. I think eventually all scopes will have this capability.

I have a V5 on a 17 WSM BMag Savage. It works great with that cartridge. It is perfect for creating ground squirrel carnage. V5 on a 300 WM Steyr SSG 04. Went from sighting in at 100 with 190 grain match bullets, moved to 800, and hit the 8 inch steel target first shot. Reticle can still be used if battery dies. It also retains settings until you replace the battery.

I give Burris credit for trying something different out of the box, and it's doesn't cost 5K like the Swarovski equivalent.

As always in my very humble opinion. Hope the info helped.

The Version 5 is much better than the 3. Version 6 allows programing through your phone.

I have Khales scopes, and yes the glass is not great on the 3 and 4 version Eliminators. Five is much better, but still not there. Hoping version 6 is another step up in improvements, and looks a whole lot more traditional.

I own several Eliminators. I really like them obviously, simple to use and program. Could they be better? Definitely, but Burris keeps improving them on a pretty regular basis. I think eventually all scopes will have this capability.

I have a V5 on a 17 WSM BMag Savage. It works great with that cartridge. It is perfect for creating ground squirrel carnage. V5 on a 300 WM Steyr SSG 04. Went from sighting in at 100 with 190 grain match bullets, moved to 800, and hit the 8 inch steel target first shot. Reticle can still be used if battery dies. It also retains settings until you replace the battery.

I give Burris credit for trying something different out of the box, and it's doesn't cost 5K like the Swarovski equivalent.

has Eliminator version 6
programming/configuring
with phone worked also in field ?
is it wireless ?wifi ? bluetooth ?
or wired ? USB ? other?
can you upload Eliminator vetsion 6
settings to a new smart phone ?
or to your existing smart phone ?
orcopy (backup) Eliminator settings
to your phone sdcard ?