E. R. Shaw barrels

Another Shaw barrel that shoots extremely well on a 1966 Savage 110.

Optics? Base and rings? Change out to try different optics?

Stock torqued to specs?

Any interest in trying a Hammer 90HHT or 104HHT? They usually shoot well and rated for 1:7tw.

I've never had a shaw barrel. But their rep is not as good as say Brux or Bartlien. With that being said not every barrel from even the best companies is a hummer. Some are just ok. Some are bummers. I think the likely hood of getting a bummer is less with the better barrel makers. I have done 3 criterions. 2 are really good one is struggling to hold moa. You may burn up a lot of components and find a load that shoots but from my experience if the barrel is that picky it's not likely. I would scope it. See if you can see something obvious.

I have played around with Re bored barrels and budget barrels for p. dogs, chucks, and short range coyotes(300 and less).

I think of it like this, out of 10 barrels, 6 will work to the accuracy standard for your application, with 4 being a pain in the arss, being rough inside requiring more cleaning, or inaccurate requiring more load development. It is an absolute disaster when you get a bad barrel, many trips to the rifle range with many dollars spent on components.

I have chambered my last cheap barrel due to 4 nightmares in the last few years with a couple of different makers. Also, you can get a bad top-drawer barrel that is rough as heck inside, so service after the sale is critical for me.

The two Shaw barrels I have had were good for short-range deer hunting, they are rougher than top drawer barrels, and a Sunen hone machine is not used on them to make sure the bore is uniform from front to back to the 0.0001. Everyone that I have known over the years who has used Shaw to chamber a barrel has had excellent results with 1" groups being about average.

What one guy calls a good barrel another calls a tomato stake.

Brux, Krieger, ABC, Hart, and Muller, are my barrel choices, and the Hell that I went through trying to get those bad barrels to shoot 1/2" groups is enough to make me appreciate the quality and anticipated groups that will be shot with the above barrels.

Alas, there are good barrels and bad barrels from every manufacturer.

I know a lot of people thumb their noses at makers like ER Shaw & Douglas.
My friend and I count ourselves lucky that we've had good results with both.

One thing I will note. It sounds like you are a benchrest or F Class shooter. The 1.25 straight barrel gives you away. 😉

These aren't Shilen or Brux barrels. They tend to be a little rough.
Clean the carbon out, but leave the copper in the barrel alone. It's a hunting rifle, not a match rifle.
Your not going to be doing fouling shots when you're hunting.

I have 2 Rugers that don't settle down until I get about 50 rounds through them.

This is an ER Shaw over run special $100. 24" sporter in 250 Savage screwed onto a Savage Axis II action.
75gr Sierra HP Varmint over a charge of Alliant Varmint. Distance 200 meters. Wind caught me out on the last shot.

Attachments

• 0104211426_copy_576x1024.jpg
    0104211426_copy_576x1024.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 4
I have had good luck with Green Mountain barrels also, you have to be realistic about your expectations. Some years ago, we were buying Adams and Bennett barrels for $50 each, we shot out a lot of them on varmints. We learned some advanced cleaning and bore lapping methods to help them out.