DPMS Panther LR-260 AR-15 Review By Jacob Gottfredson

You can convert to 260 with only a barrel change.
Depending upon your distance for shooting, you can go to 22" and loose some weight with very little if any performance lost.
For me, with either the 260 or 308 you will not need a brake.
You need to maintain some barrel thickness in the barrel under the handguard, but beyond that you can make the barrel fairly light.
Barrel twist for 260 should be 1x9 tot shoot the 140 grain bullets.
Barrel maker of choice for me is Krieger.
Switch barrel is pratical, but the bullet performance from the ones you mentioned are close enough to each other, I would just do the 260 or 308 and leave it alone.
You can get lighter stock and forend.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm one of the lucky ones to own a DPMS 260. A friend has one and we both love ours! Both our handloads and a VERY accurate CorBon factory load with 139gr. Scenar bullets will easily do 1/2 inch groups all day long ! Shoving them along at 2750fps will take a lot of pigs ! I think DPMS is now making a match trigger for their AR10s? If not, the Rock River two stage match trigger is a dream to pull!

Yes, I love mine also!! It is a 1/2 moa gun also w 123 SMK @2925fps.Its a dream to shoot with the factory Miculek brake and JP trigger,then I added a Ergo grip and Magpul PRS stock. It was worth the 2 year wait.

I gotta try those 123s ! I actually had them in mind; but just haven't got around to it. I bet there's a noticeable difference in recoil, right ?

Did not try the 139 or 142's because they take up too much powder space and sometimes the 8.5 twist may not be enough for the big bullets. Plus don't shoot much past 600 yds,,so the 123 smk work great..

Remember the quote "Any thing you can do,,I can do better" that's what the .260 said to the .308...if I was going to choose a second caliber..it is going to be the .338 Federal...DPMS just told me 7-9 months to get upper or whole gun,,,Glad you like your two guns!!!

I bought me a dpms lr243l about 1 year ago. Love this gun. I shoot 95gr nosler ballistic tips .02 off of the lans (.02 Jump) with 43 grains of imr4350 and the muzzle velocity is about 2650fps. My light version has an 18" barrel, which at first scared me a little bit, however this gun shoots like a dream. I've killed tons of groundhogs out to 300 yards with it, a couple coyotes in the 300-yard range, and one coyote at 420, and lots of coyotes and ground hogs 200 and under. I have defiantly got my moneys worth out of this gun. I couldn't help but share my experience with you. :D Good luck guys.

Don't forget 7mm-08 or the 284 remington.

Great rounds.

The 7mm-08 is fairly inexpensive to re load and the 7mm bullets have pretty high bc's. A fair # of people are using them in shoots at Camp Perry these days.

Great hunting round too.

Food for thought.

Hi, I want to know if to buy an ar 15 lower from gun manufacturers, do I have to buy license too. Someone told me that I can buy and don't need to have a license but it should be registered on my name. Is this right information..

In NY and I think this is a federal and not a NY law (FFL) is a Federal Firearms License, if you buy from an FFL like a manufacturer (they are FFL's, type 7 I think) they have to register it as a sale to you and follow their procedures to be in compliance as an FFL.

From an individual? I'd check with an FFL and ask that question.

That's all I know. I wouldn't buy a firearm if I wasn't legally able to do so. The Federal Government controls that through FFL's.

Food for thought. My opinion only, I'm noy an FFL. Ask one...

Yes you have to be a dealer to buy from a manufacturer or wholesaler,,,Consumers without a license need to buy from a retailer and fill out 4473 to do transfer of item...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.