Do you shoot 17 WSM ?

The 17 WSM is one fault --crappy rifles...I spent a kings ransom on a RimX /manners build--I love it-- but 3k worth of components for a rimfire--is excessive..this is a great rimfire needs to be utilized more.
I hear what you';re saying but the 17 hornet does it all so much better with a good availability of great rifles,that's why I moved mine on after dumping $400 in it,granted I hit targets but overall something was lacking,went with a CZ 527 American sporter and it shoots lights out averaging .535, with my all time best of .290,99.99% hit rate now live targets only.

I was interested in the .17H but no longer reload, so my choice of buying .17 WSM rifles.

True, Savage .17 rifles for the most part, need some work and aftermarket improvements but the end results have greatly satisfied me. I also have a dedicated but retired knife making shop that also allows some homie work on my rifles. Having two gunsmith pals certainly pays off, too.

I have talked some pals into buying .17 WSM rifles are they are a happy lot.

I bought a ruger 77/17 wsm and it is not going anywhere. It is an awesome rimfire round. I worked on the trigger a little and shimmed the bolt. I got rid of my 17 hmr and haven't looked back. Where else are you going to get a rimfire doing 3000 fps? Ammo can be hit or miss. I just stocked up when I could. I am definitely a fan!

I bought the 77 in 17WSM, but then restocked it and full bedded the barrel. It's has given me a lot of pleasure shooting prairie dogs all the way out to past 300 ! A few groundhogs around here didn't like it either.
I als liked the round so much I had one of my re-stocked Ruger #1s re-barreled in it! Yes, a rimfire #1 ...in 17 WSM. Beautiful rifle and it could be yours if the price is right.
Wouldn't ya know it. Google photos is playing with me! I can't get the photo I just took because they want me to sign up for an app! I'll have to figure that out later.

Found it!

Attachments

• 0511210802.jpg
    0511210802.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 27
I seen Winchester has produced a new rifle for the 17 WSM. Maybe not new now. But fairly new. It's also available in 22 LR and I think 22 WMR. I looked at the 22 lr version in person. And I must say I was not impressed. I thought it to be of a lesser quality than the BMAG. Which I didn't believe was possible. Man I wish CZ would produce a 17 WSM. I would be willing to bet they couldn't keep them in stock if the ammo was available on a regular bases.
Savage has the B-Mag Beavertail bolt action, and the A17 Sporter semi-auto in 17 WSM. w/ Laminated stocks ~ not bad...
I like the Ruger Model 77/17 WSM with the Green Mt. Stock and threaded barrel.

Definitely wish CZ would produce one, but I put a Boyd's stock on one years ago, new bolt handle, and it shoots fairly well. I still keep my eye out for a left hand 17 Hornet, 17 Fireball or other small caliber cartridge. I'm not sure why as I don't pd hunt, but I really like shooting the littles, recoil might have something to do with it lol. The coyotes around here can't take them either, might not work as well on the bigger animals up north, but a pickup couldn't carry all the dogs a 17 Mach IV I had killed. I've only shot a couple with the 17 WSM, it works, but the Mach IV stoned them on par with my 22-250.

I have had a RimX built w/ a 22lr & 17wsm. Both barrels are fantastic shooters. I'm still in the process of bedding the bottom and have put the project on hold with the 17 cause ammo is so hard to find. If 17wsm ammo was available I think this cartridge would take off. Things to dream about I guess. Ammo availability makes me want to buy a hornet or something I can load up. I was gonna send the 22 barreled action in for lot testing at some point, in an effort to buy the right accuracy lot for my rifle. It is shooting 3/4" right now at 100 with 40 grain Federal box ammo, since it's broken in. Can't wait to try some match ammo in it.

I have had a RimX built w/ a 22lr & 17wsm. Both barrels are fantastic shooters. I'm still in the process of bedding the bottom and have put the project on hold with the 17 cause ammo is so hard to find. If 17wsm ammo was available I think this cartridge would take off. Things to dream about I guess. Ammo availability makes me want to buy a hornet or something I can load up. I was gonna send the 22 barreled action in for lot testing at some point, in an effort to buy the right accuracy lot for my rifle. It is shooting 3/4" right now at 100 with 40 grain Federal box ammo, since it's broken in. Can't wait to try some match ammo in it.
I've tried Eley in the past with not very good results, but lately they have been making some really great ammo, at least for my 22's. I bought a 10-22, left hand from Ruger's custom shop, and the semi-auto bench rest precision shoots bug holes at fifty yards. I killed 40 plus squirrels this spring and never broke out my Cooper 57M. It loves Lapua high velo hp's, and I still have a stash of a few hundred, but I don't think they're making any high velo hp rounds anymore, so I'm shooting the Ruger as ammo is fairly easy to find for it now. I definitely want to build a 17WSM on a RimX, but my wife is going to get a house built on our land before I do any more projects lol. Good luck on yours.