Describe your horse pack outfit?

tony m

Decker, sawbuck, draft style packhorses.How do you get your game out? Are you a mule skinner? What do you like for a saddle horse? I have found alot of regional differences..well let's hear it

I use mostly sawbucks but have used deckers and like them. Mixture of horses and mules though I like the mules for pulling elk out of the really nasty places. I also think loads ride on horses better when travelling downhill. I like to use two packers to pack out an elk with hindquarters on one animal and shoulders and antlers on the other. As far a saddle horses go I just like a dependable horse that can see well in the dark! Ha ha

Thanks huntnm...we pack the same way.Do you folks top pack gear in? Or just pack meat out.The reason I say this is we saw a packtrain in Montana without top packs...they would just add another mule.Here too, most off the animals are pretty cold blooded , workhorse cross type, except for me ...I ride a bronc...just the way it is

We pack gear in. Not a huge amount of top pack like some guys I've seen but we will have some. Usually light bulky stuff. I usually end up on the greener horses myself so I know where you're coming from.

I used to hear" no point riding a a broke horse unless your roping for money" There are different ways to see it for sure, but old reliable ...he is like gold.Anyways, most of the packhorses here don't hold a saddle well either, not much better than a mule.Sausage backs y'know.Also packing a rifle on your pony, this needs some 21 st century changes, , I am having one made up at this time , It is a trial and will sit vertically , securely through the fork and a good heavy keeper to the off billet., with D's for shoulder straps if you want to remove it , tie gear on it and head up the mountain afoot.What do you think?I find a rifle under your leg bugs me anyways, especially on a colt.I carry a light rifle and a good axe to balance things..take care

I've had horses and mules most of my adult life. For me decker pack saddles work the best. Fact is I build and sell them regularly. I live in the Methow Valley in north eastern Washington. Gateway to the high country. I pack mostly mules. Sure footed and capable of carrying good loads easier than horses. I pack in the camp ( wall tent, wood stove, kitchens etc using pack boxes, painers and mantys. For packing out meat I manty my load . Wrap the meat up in a 7x7 canvas tarps tied up to make a package . Each side averages 70-90 lbs. The manty loads are kept clean of dirt and dust for the ride out plus you adjust the load weight more easily etc. For two guys going in for a week hunt I use 3 mules for brining in the camp and two mules for extras and taking out the meat. While up there I rotate some mules around for riding each day. I pack light top loads only, such as sleeping bags tarps etc. Too much on top of a pack can make a load shift back and forth with the gate of the pack animal. Very hard on your stock. Those packers with heavy top loads will mostly have to adjust and tighten the load a lot while trying to get somewhere. All of what I've said only works if you have enough stock. For those that have limited stock, pack your sides around 70LB a side and the top pack half the weight of one side say 35LB ad you will fine.

I only have one pack horse with a sawbuck pack saddle. But I ride and pack with some friends that are pretty serious about it. This pic was taking hay into elk camp.

012-09-02_16-46-04_697_zps1fa8ec97.jpg

Nice photo. It's a job to have to haul feed in. Some times weed free hay is required. Hobbling half your stock at a time to feed sure is easier if you have the area for feed. I wrangle for a local packer during the summer season now and then. Sometimes leading 8-10 pack mules. Its impressive to look back at your string. Crossing a creek, bridge etc is something when you realize how long it takes till the last one has crossed. If you're stopped and are about to start again the mules respond to a whistle. They know we are going.

I am also trying to figure out a scabbard for my new elk rifle. Its not huge just has a long barrel and I really don't like those massive nylon trail max scabbards. I prefer leather. May have to hunt someone up to build me one. I have done my share of packing hay as well, usually takes 40 or 50 bales to get us through the season once the snow flies in Colorado.

I do leather work in the winter months. Chaps ,chinks ,saddle bags, cantle bags , saddle bags, decker pack saddles , and more etc. Could build you a long barreled scabbard but not this time of year. Suggest you check out Sawtooth Saddle Co out of Vernal, Utah. His name is Jerry Stewart and his wife is Kay. Good people and he is very talented. Good working horseman type products. Check out his web site. Advise, decide where on the horse you want it to ride. Most common and practical is the off side or the right side of the horse in the front. This way they can build it with the flap and rigging in the correct position.

Yeah , I decided to have a leather scabbard built.Great picture Broz.I like taking up the rear on a string..watching the loads.Feeling very blessed.I like leather too,synthetics don't feel right to me

We just don't see many mules around here, in Canada.Most packhorses are like I said earlier , very cold blooded.I have at times roped off a few though, they were good bred mules too.It was a gas but a challenge turning steers off, if longears decided to go straight.I gotta say it was a blast.Mostly sawbucks here to.Does a decker fit a mule better than the former? Do you keep shoes on them?Just wondering

For packing elk less then 10 miles I just pack halves cut length ways with an axe, on my riding saddle, and walk home. It takes about 30- 45 minutes from getting to the elk to having it loaded and heading out. I prefer some draft in my horses, and use a crouper on my riding saddles. I typically always have a pack horse with a decker saddle and big bags because quarters are easier to load, especially when alone. If I kill nothin I always have lots of lunch, and the pelican with my big iron! This is last years cow elk on a riding saddle
I also have been known to pack wild bison on this saddle. My only advise is to use a pack saddle on the head! It's like a wrecking ball with two Clovis points!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.