Day pack ponderings

Stone glacier frame and switch between my sky archer bag and the approach bag (I think that's the name) as needed for a day pack. Add the load cell bag (or similar) and can haul a whole deer in one go if I must.

Last edited:
My understanding of your question is your only complaint is your 7200 pack is noisy and acceptably a little large. So, to solve your noise complaint, can you sew yourself a soft/quiet cover that fits over your entire pack like a compression sack to protect the pack from rubbing on brush, etc? Use the cover over your compressed pack while stalking and remove it when needing more room to pack your meat and equipment out. I envision a pillow sack with one wide side open and a string laced around the sack's opening so you can cinch it tightly around the back of your pack similar to a sweatshirt or parka hood. Try this before spending a lot of money on a new pack you may not like as much as your 7200.

Last edited:
My understanding of your question is your only complaint is your 7200 pack is noisy and acceptably a little large. So, to solve your noise complaint, can you sew yourself a soft/quiet cover that fits over your entire pack like a compression sack to protect the pack from rubbing on brush, etc? Use the cover over your compressed pack while stalking and remove it when needing more room to pack your meat and equipment out. I envision a pillow sack with one wide side open and a string laced around the sack's opening so you can cinch it tightly around the back of your pack similar to a sweatshirt or parka hood. Try this before spending a lot of money on a new pack you may not like as much as your 7200.
Yeah that more or less sums it up... I think maybe that is a good idea. It would definitely be the cheapest option 😃

I wish they offered the Loden on more pack options, but Eberlestock has two packs made out of Loden microsuede that is very soft to the touch and quiet. I got it because it wasn't a tacti-cool cordura fabric, those seem too heavy and too loud to me, unless you drag them behind the Mule for a few miles to knock the stiffness out of them. They also have a tan suede, but I've only looked for the green.

Yeah that more or less sums it up... I think maybe that is a good idea. It would definitely be the cheapest option 😃
Look at rain covers for packs and try mimicking something like that but with some sort of soft brushed fabric. I know the Eberlestock pack I had (it was the blue widow) was a soft fabric and wasn't noisy but, I don't think their packs carry weight well like some of the other pack companies mentioned here. Having used one and then moved to Stone Glacier I can tell you that there's a huge difference in those and something like an Exo, SG, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Kuiu and the like.

You young guys and your heavy and expensive packs. My buddy hunts with a GoLite pack that weighs about 24 oz. and holds 40 lbs of meat.

My pack cost $20 at a gun show, and I've hauled out a cow elk in two loads. On flat ground, I've hauled out an entire deer in one load.

You are talking about meat hauling and not bone hauling, right? I used frame packs for years, and finally made the switch after I got smart enough to not haul bones. No need for a frame or padding if you're hauling meat. The meat conforms to your back and is very comfortable. Any pack that is narrower than you will move nicely through the brush.

I used a MR Metcalf for everything including day trips. Decided to go smaller and got a Kifaru Stryker XL. Can attach pockets if I need a little more space. Should work out awesome. If I need something bigger down the road, I'll buy a new bag for my Kifaru frame.

If you already have the KUIU frame and like it. I would just buy their small bag that fits that frame. I've used Kuiu, MR and Kifaru over the years and that's what I've like about all of them is that I can have 2 different bag set ups. Currently using a Kifaru duplex lite with a Stryker XL for eastern hunting

I run a team elk from eberlestock for a gunner runner mainly as I prefer hands free carry. I've used it for bow hunting as well but recently went to a MR for this season to try and ultralight day pack. For the team, I also use it on my bike, run half scabbard, barrel up. I like the pack a lot but it is heavier than many but it is also very quite, very durable, and capable. If you don't like that sort of gun carry, then something like a MR day pack would be good.

Definitely the two pack 1 frame system has been a major bonus for us. I run a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth for backpacking \ hunting trips for days. Switch to the Mystery Ranch Mule for day hikes. Both have the "meat" shelves. Therefore we don't come back to camp \ truck empty handed .