D.C.'s spot

Re: D.C.\'s spot

Turning this thread from bad to worse with stories...
Ah, those darn tempting sheep.
Went to Alaska a few years ago with my brothers for an unguided caribou hunt. At one of the last pieces of civilization before we flew out to the tundra, a guy asks us where our "timer" was. We responded with blank stares and asked what a "timer" was. This guy tells us to go to some place down by the airport in Anchorage where the hookers are, and pick up the ugliest woman there to bring with us. If you have been out in the tundra too long, she will start to look good and then its time to come back.
I once took a guy Missouri on an elk hunt. This guy was an avid hunter, but had never been out of the hills of Missouri to hunt. I got him in on this herd of bulls and he shot a 5 point raghorn. He hit it in the spine, it dropped, but by the time we got close, it was up on its front legs. The bulls head was the only thing you could really see and I was about to tell him to shoot when I realized this might be a trophy to him. I stopped and said "Do you want to mount it?" and this guy looks at me incredulously and says "What did you have in mind?" I could not stop laughing as the guy calmly shot the bull thinking I was a pervert.
I will post some hunting pics if you want to and I can figure out the best way to do it.

Well all I can say is us westerners love to hunt and we care about the animals we hunt..... some people will never understand...

Hey Boyd.... I'm working on some new places.. your turn may come sooner than you think.... I mean to hunt, you pervert!!
shocked.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

I'm trying to find some public land that is still pretty productive , places where the locals don't bother with to much!!!!

QH

That terrain sure does look familar.

Didn't run into a fellow named Rodney.

Later
DC

PS--I hunt about 5 miles from Avalanche as the crow flies

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Darryl, 2100 yrds!! Holy smokes!! What a shot!! My first question is what did you use to range the elk with? At that range the danger space would be really, really small. Secondly, what were you shooting and was it still supersonic? Must have taken you about 30 minutes to walk that distance.

Roadrunner

At the time, I used a Barr and Stroud Military rangefinder. I now use a Military Laser. Only the military rangefinders will do the job for us.

I shoot a 338/416 Rigby IMP that weighs 67 Pounds and is table mounted. It has a 37" barrel and I load it hot to shoot the 300 gr 338 bullet at 3300 FPS.

At 2100 yards I still had 1533 FPS and 1566 Foot pounds of energy remaining. The bullet went through one shoulder and exited the far side just behind the other shoulder. Exit wound was about the size of a grapefruit.

It took 212 1/4 Min clicks of the scope to get the elk.

That was done with 4 witnesses watching through bigeye glasses.

Have a friend that beat that yardage a few years later. He has the SAME chambering as I and he got his elk at 2890 yards with 4 witnesses from the Williamsport 1000 yd club.

I guess you can say 2100 yds isn't really that far when it's been beat by 790 yards by my buddy.

I hope to someday reach the 3000 yd mark and regain that distance record on an elk. I keep looking for that opportunity to appear in Colorado every year. It will come sooner or later.

Anyway, that's the information you asked for and it has been discussed here many times. It's in the archives.

Later
DC

PS---It took about 1 1/2 or 2 hours (as I remember) to get to the elk on foot. Down one mountain and up to the top on the next mountain over.

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Darryl, thanks for the answer. I've reached the conclusion that you can't hunt long range unless you've got a military range finder. My Leica 1200 didn't do diddly squat at 700 yrds on antelope. It took me nearly a dozen times to get a range on one. So you really can't shoot much beyond 700 yrds unless you've got a military laser. I checked the Wild rangefinder. But at 2000 yrds, according to the formula for optics on their web site, your theoretical MINIMAL possible error is over 20 yrds. That means that your actual error will be much greater. Being 20+ yrds off at 2000 yrds just introduces another possible source of error contributing to a miss.

Hey how do you get your 67 lbs of rifle plus all other supplies to your shooting area. Do you drive up to a hill, unload all of it from your pickup, or do you pack it all in?

RR

We have many places we can drive to and unload the heavy equipment.

When using lighter stuff (guns from 12 to 22#) we back pack our things out onto ridges for the day.

As far as being off 20 yds, at 2000 yads----we set the elevation much higher then the drop chart calls for and make a spotter shot or two over the animal to get the windage correct. The importance of your hunting partner with bigeyes is VERY important at this time.
The other way for the spotter rounds is to look ahead or behind the animal (100 yards) and look for a tree stump or open patch of dirt and fire the spotter round to it. Make your correction and go back on the animal and fire.

LR hunting (what I call LR hunting) is a team sport. Never try it alone at the ranges we shoot.

Later
DC

Hello Darryl,

What a lovely view in Colorado, especially snow on the mountains.

When you arrived at 7500 feet elevation, how was the wind? Is it more calmer in higher evelation than lower elevation, just asking?
Did Ray use similiar gun equipment as yours? (eg. a block barrel and a heavy battery?)

I have a couple of questions to ask you but will post in a new forum.

Enjoy Shooting...
-Denny

Very cool hunting spots, what a view. Someday. I'd very much love to hunt elk, to some Africa is it, for me elk is the hunt of a lifetime. You guys are very lucky, I read with dripping envy of your hunts on elk. That one of (Wyo) Ricks was exitement at every turn, I told everyone I knew about it.

Fellas,
Thanks so much for sharing all these photos and experiences. It makes me feel like my efforts, however painfully slow they yield progress, will one day come to the ultimate fruition.

Darrel,
I find your public journals (both literary and photographic) to be the most compelling . . . . . and most provocative. Hence, I must ask despite the risk of offending you. You would never reveal the location of this wonderful area in which you hunt, of course. But would you tell your public whether its on privately owned ranch land or on public land? One can never tell just from photos since the whole of Colorado and Northern New Mexico look just like it.

Regards,
D.H.

Hello to all

The spots I hunt are on "Public land".

You will never catch this guy paying to hunt on private land when there are soooooo many acres of public land in Colorado to hunt. Sort of like all the State land in Pennsylvania.

To Denny
The rifle Ray shot the deer with was simply a 36" barreled 338/375 H&H IMP.

The case is the SAME as any improved 30 cal mag using the 375 or 340 Wetherby as the parent case.
It is nowhere near as powerful as my 338/416 Rigby Imp.
It also can be shot from a regular Remington Mag action which he has on his rifle.

As per the wind question-----To a degree, wind is wind, regardless of the altitude. That's why we take the spotter shots at the range we shoot.
Keep in mind, the higher the altitude, the flatter the bullet will shoot. Hence, the bullet maintains more velocity longer and is not being effected by the wind quite as bad as at sea level.
Check any of the ballistics programs and dial in 7500 Feet and 1000 feet (for the same cartridge and speed) of elevation and notice the wind drift and velocity at 1000 to 2000 yds of both elevations.

Hope that answered the questions.

Later
DC

[ 11-26-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.