CZ453 Varmint 22LR

I have a 453. I think the CZ's are one of the better choices of getting an accurate 22 out of a box without going over $500. I think the varmint would be better yet as the sporter I have is a little tempermental in regards to hold/stock pressure. Many I shoot with in local IR 50/50 matches ($600 limit on rifle price) use either a CZ452 or 453. Mine likes EleyClubExtra, and Lapua MasterM equally for targets and CCI subsonic hps are a good practice/plinking/hunting round that will certainly hold minute of squirrelhead at least out to 50yds.

I've had a CZ 452 Varmint for some time now and have been impressed with the accuracy. At 7lb bare it's weighty enough for shooting off hand, something I've always struggled with using lighter 22's. Only down side I've found is that the trigger is nothing flash straight from the box, so either getting a smith to reduce creep or an aftermarket trigger will certainly help.

LRH is an awsome resource for all things long distance, rimfire included. Example: reading wind does not only apply to center fire rifles.

Another good resource is Rimfirecentral.com They have a forum dedicated specifically to CZ rifles, predominantly the 452s and 453s are discussed.

My dad's 452 varmint is routinely capable of pinky-fingernail-size 5-shot groups at 50yards with quality ammo, more especially Wolfe Match Target and Match Extra.

EH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.