Custom/semi-custom

If going for ultra light I think the bighorn is out of the mix. Unless they've shaved weight that I'm unaware of. That's a lot to make up.

I don't know that the seekins is a weight saver either over any standard 700 action but I haven't done the research.

Ultimately you can save a tremendous amount on the barrel but at a certain point accuracy will be the cost. When you're shaving weight think hard about barrel length as this chops ounces. If running vlds you don't need 3100 fps to do work out to say 800-1000 yards at elk altitude.

Here's the way it was put to me by my smith, a CF barrel and a steel barrel of thr same weight will shoot very similar as they have similar stiffness. Example, a proof sendero and steel magnum contour weigh about the same and should shoot about the same regarding stiffness. The all steel will typically be faster as there's much less diameter stretch of the barrel.
Add to that a little bit of cost savings.

My current build plan is a Def anti on an AG stock and either a #3 or 4 brux at 22 or 24 inches. It will be chambered in 30-28 nosler set up to run heavies up to the 245s.

Like in anything, it's all a compromise where weight and performance are concerned.

Tell me prefit pros/cons. My smith thought it would be better to have them do the work vs a prefit. The cost doesn't seem to be much different either way.
If the seekins factory rifle and their action they sell separately are the same action then it would be very light. They are an aluminum receiver and fluted bolt. I'd have to look it up again but guessing what I remembered was 17.??oz.

Tell me prefit pros/cons. My smith thought it would be better to have them do the work vs a prefit. The cost doesn't seem to be much different either way.

No real cons to prefits as long as you don't buy them from a crappy smith. LOL Pros are price as most will come in lower than having a smith fit and the biggest pro is you don't have to send your action to the smith and be without a rifle. You can order a prefit and keep shooting the rifle and then change the barrel when it comes in at home.

I have little experience with prefits.

You're going to be a little limited on clambering options, especially wildcats or those that go beyond sammi spec. Barrel length, threading and fluting are also limited.

I feel like a smith working at his shop will take a little more care with the machine work and his reamers but that's just my opinion, no evidence to that.

Certain brands have lots of prefits ready to go so wait times can be cut considerably.

All in all, I'd prefer to have the Smith do the chamber and threading of the barrel.

Not sure how warranty would work with prefits. With my smith, I have a great relationship regarding warranty.

The Op SAID,.. WANTS a Light weight, Mountain Rifle in, .. 7 PRC.
The 7 SAUM or, 7 PRC Cartridges with, MOST Bullets,.. WILL, FIT Fine, in Tikka Long ( .300 WM or, 7 MM Rem MAG ) Magnum size, Magazines.

Last edited:
I have little experience with prefits.

You're going to be a little limited on clambering options, especially wildcats or those that go beyond sammi spec. Barrel length, threading and fluting are also limited.

I feel like a smith working at his shop will take a little more care with the machine work and his reamers but that's just my opinion, no evidence to that.

Certain brands have lots of prefits ready to go so wait times can be cut considerably.

All in all, I'd prefer to have the Smith do the chamber and threading of the barrel.

Not sure how warranty would work with prefits. With my smith, I have a great relationship regarding warranty.

I had little experience with them up until a few years ago but having had experience with them I wouldn't go back to having to send a smith my action. Also any warranty with any of the major companies is like any other product. They take care of it.

And because you get a prefit doesn't mean you don't use a smith. I use Josh Kunz at Patriot Valley Arms and he knows what he is doing and I can talk to him with questions. You can get many chamberings and contours and flutes and threading like smith.

Ok fact check, I was wrong. Seekins said their action is the one the PH2 is built on. It's 2lbs. The element has the incredibly light aluminum receiver/steel bolt action but is a proprietary vs the PH2 action based on the rem700 footprint

Anyone know what the tikka action weighs?
Also thoughts on the Pierce Engineering Shadow? For $1000 it looks sweet and it checks the lightweight box for sure

Last edited:
To suppress 7 prc or not to suppress. If I do 18-20" barrel with a suppressor am I limiting myself on effective range on elk too much. This build was for a light rifle I can reach out and touch something if I needed. Hill Country Rifles made a video that might help. He shoots with 20, 22 and 24" barrels out to 300-1000 yards

You will lose velocity with a magnum in a short barrel but if it's good enough for you then go for it. I would run some ballistics and see how much energy you will have with your bullet of choice at the ranges you plan to take game and see if it will be enough.

You will lose velocity with a magnum in a short barrel but if it's good enough for you then go for it. I would run some ballistics and see how much energy you will have with your bullet of choice at the ranges you plan to take game and see if it will be enough.
I realize that my rifle may produce different velocities than the ones in the video but should be pretty close right? That's why I posted it because they have done the calculations already. Based on the video, 20" barrel at 1000 yards, 1257ft lbs, is there enough energy that folks would feel confident taking ethical shots at elk at these ranges.

I see that video as influencer hype myself.

A 308 can bang steel at 1k so most any 7mm from a 708 on up should do it as well.

They left out one key number, muzzle velocity. With that you can determine what the impact velocity will be on target at a given range and altitude. The minimum impact velocity is typically the threshold by which your shooting distance is limited with high SD bullets like these heavy vlds.

I'm sure that mv went down with barrel length, the question is how much.

FWIW, I'm a 7 prc fan and would be building one if I didn't already have a 7 saum slinging 180s at 2840 in a 21 inch barrel to .5 moa at 850.

I realize that my rifle may produce different velocities than the ones in the video but should be pretty close right? That's why I posted it because they have done the calculations already. Based on the video, 20" barrel at 1000 yards, 1257ft lbs, is there enough energy that folks would feel confident taking ethical shots at elk at these ranges.

So out of curiosity I input the following numbers into the berger ballastics calculator.

175 grain with a .689 bc (hornadys published number for the eld-x)
Altitude of 630 feet, elevation for new Braunfels TX.

It took a mv of 3000 to get 1200 ft pounds of energy at 1000. Seems pretty high from a 20 inch barrel.

Screenshot_20230108_101831_Chrome.jpg