Custom Build? Help me decide

Hikinghunter

So, I have an American rifle works GDG action sitting here. My idea was to do a custom build with it, but now I'm second-guessing myself. I want to do something lightweight. By the time I get a stock, BM, trigger, barrel, etc I'm in at least $3K. I have a couple of lightweight factory rifles that shoot 1/2 MOA, so what is a custom build doing for me?

I don't do PRS, but I reload and shoot enough for fun to eventually wear out barrels.

Is the idea of a custom build to have a more durable and longer-lasting setup, or is it just about making a gun that's tailored to your personal preferences? If the latter, seems like if you already have a factory gun or ten that work for you, there's no need to build.

So, I have an American rifle works GDG action sitting here. My idea was to do a custom build with it, but now I'm second-guessing myself. I want to do something lightweight. By the time I get a stock, BM, trigger, barrel, etc I'm in at least $3K. I have a couple of lightweight factory rifles that shoot 1/2 MOA, so what is a custom build doing for me?

I don't do PRS, but I reload and shoot enough for fun to eventually wear out barrels.

Is the idea of a custom build to have a more durable and longer-lasting setup, or is it just about making a gun that's tailored to your personal preferences? If the latter, seems like if you already have a factory gun or ten that work for you, there's no need to build.
Only you can answer your own questions.

Only you can answer your own questions.
Well, I was hoping if others could tell me why they decided one way or another.

Here's a more direct question. Will a factory savage action last through 5000 rounds and a few barrel changes, or do I need the durability of the ARC action?

First of, I never ask what rifle to build or buy. When I decide on a project, custom, or semi-custom, I do not second guess myself.
Will a factory savage action last through 5000 rounds and a few barrel changes,
Yes!
or do I need the durability of the ARC action?
No!

You need to decide on your needs and wants. Most of my builds and purchases in the last 35 years are wants, not needs.

Last edited:

Here's a more direct question. Will a factory savage action last through 5000 rounds and a few barrel changes, or do I need the durability of the ARC action?
I'll try a constructive reply…. Savage and ARC really don't belong in the same sentence.

-Reliable extraction and ejection vs. questionable and inconsistent.

-Much better trigger options, more chassis and stock options, etc.,

-Built in rail and lug so little concern about scope rail hole alignment.

-Ability to run AW magazines

-Likely much better resale value if you decide you don't like it.

All at a $900 price point. You've got a superior product, build on it!

The reason you go custom is so that every item on the gun is tailored to your specifications. Those specs can be in place for aesthetics or function, but each one is your choice.

If you have a stable of rifles that do everything you want them to do, and can't justify the expense of building a custom, then don't.
Most guys who build and aren't happy fall into two camps. One, they let other people talk them into parts or features that they want, not what is best for the builder, so the builder ends up with an expensive custom that doesn't suit them. The second group are the ones that believe a custom gun will magically have them shooting bugholes, when they only shoot 10 shots a year to "sight in their rifles" before the big hunt.

The folks that build and are happy are the ones who build what they want and they guy who are great shooters and are looking for that little bit extra to push them to the top of their game.

As Feenix said, only you can make that decision.

I built a custom because I wanted my LA 300 WSM on a Model 70 CRF action with a specific barrel and mounted in a vertical grip custom finished CF stock.

By that standard, other than the factory original stock, my SA 300 WSM is a custom too because it also has a trued action, bolt, and custom reamed chamber in a specific new barrel.

Like others have said. Determine what is important to you and go with it. You will have to work real hard to wear out an action. For example, I regularly shoot my 25 year old Steyr 30-06 that shoots 0.3 moa every time I can do it. I still built the two rifles mentioned above.

BTW, if I had waited a few years, I could have had a roughly equal rifle to my long action for 40% less $,$$$ from right here on LRH.

Enjoy your shooting sports your way.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're happy with some existing firearms in use. Therefore you could spend that $3k in the future on the favorite guns you have such as replacing a barrel, another scope or even new electronics for range time. And it is really your call. Good luck.

Yes. Custom is custom. My first custom I had built was with a weight goal in mind and a faster twist rate that was not offered in factory models. If you have a factory model that does the job you're good to go. If you want something a little outside of SAAMI you might have to go custom route or rebarrel. My only complaint with the custom side is the options are endless but the checkbook isn't. Good luck!!

knowing what cartridge (not caliber) you would want for a range toy (i have plenty as i don't hunt) is another question. while my lesser caliber rifles don't have the energy of the medium bores (33cal) i build off what range expectations i'd be shooting. i have savage 110 actions and love them with the exception of the accu-trigger (replaced by rifle basix trigger) with a 32" 7.5t 264wm and the other is a 30" carbon fiber 9t 300wm. going with zermatt you get the barrel nut and rem triggers and platform of it. if you are doing the build yourself other than a custom builder, then it's a tossup on going non-nut type? or if you want a "shoot this cartridge 1 day and another a different day" then do a switch lug type. the world is your oyster so make of it what you want!

Not sure if the action is a short or long. But, if short, the newer 6 ARC with 108 bullets does a fine job to 7-800 yds. or longer. Bigger and a tad longer range is the 6 Creedmoor. I shoot with some guys out to 970 and their 6.5 Creeds with 140 + gr. bullets don't do any better than my 6 Creed with the 108s. The Creedmoor has excellent factory ammo and are super easy to reload. Just yacking about cartridge selection.

Custom offers things most people don't care about unless you're shooting far enough to see a difference. I like to have the option of barrel length, certain twist and throated for a bullet that will be shot through that gun. Longer brass life. Not a huge deal but a balanced rifle with a can on is a plus for me.

The worse thing I ever did was have my first one built. It's expensive but there is never a want for more performance.

Well I have found every brand of rifle I have owned has been modified(customized), even my CA mesa that shot lights out I wound up swapping the stock out to their precision MPR stock. The one that has pretty much stayed stock was my Bergara HMR 24" 6.5 creedmoor, just a muzzle brake added. I did build an AR10 that shoots very well, my AR15 has a custom upper from Smith & Wesson. So you can buy modifications to optimize any rifle.

However, I had a custom built for me during the pandemic (wound up getting Covid, already had asthma and it was rough for a while). During my recovery decided that I wanted bucket list hunting rifle a .375 ruger or similar cartridge, well after searching for all options including the Weatherby ones. I found there were none to be found, it was slim pickings. I wound up purchasing a custom rifle. I got what I wanted but still had a brake made for it and an adjustable cheek rest put on it, will still have an arca rail put on the stock for shooting off a tripod. If you have the time patience and money you will have a rifle that fits you perfectly, is made for your usage and shoots lights out. It took about a year to get it. But I really like the rifle, may do it again.

It sounds like you already have the action, just make a plan and do it. Although I am older, I believed I had all the time in the world to do my hunts and fishing trips. After the Covid, it was kind of a wake up call. I am doing stuff for me again and not just thinking about it. Still working, but not much longer. Enjoy yourself and be safe and have fun, my advice just do it for yourself, and you will be happy you did it.

Recent Posts