Current Fixed Power scope options?

megastink

I'm looking for a fixed power scope (probably 6x) for my 6x45 bolt gun that I built. Max range will be under 250 yards, so no need to dial. I've been looking around for a modern quality fixed power optic with a BDC reticle, and it seems to be a dying breed. So far, I've shopped:
-Leupold: FX-II 6x36 is winning, but discontinued of course
-GPO 7.5x50i: a bit too heavy for my little 6x45
-SWFA 6x42- I've owned these before. Great scopes, albeit heavy for my application and it has exposed turrets
-SB Klassik 6x42- over budget
-Trijicon- over budget

I have posts everywhere looking for a FX-II 6x36 with the LR Duplex reticle, but no bites so far. I wish Burris made a FFIV 6x40 with their reticle. That would be a slam dunk for me. Is there another brand I should be looking at?

I like 6x fixed scopes for hunting. I got a Leupold 6x FX on a 250 AI and a 6x Burris HBR on a 6 x 45. I also have a 6x FX competition on a Hunter Class rifle I use in SRBR Score comp. Many 6x optics built in the last 30 years were designed for Hunter Benchrest - not for hunting. They have fine crosshairs/ tiny dot reticles and elevated turrets NOT conducive for non-competition use. Sightron made a 6x but I believe that also catered to HBR. And I recall some HBR competitors used a straight 6x Zeiss. So my suggestion is to continue searching classifieds for used and if a range finding reticle is desired possibly Cheryl Ackerman can do the modification.https://targetshooteroptics.com/About_Optical_Services_Co.html

If it were me, I'd be patient and shop hard for a Swarovski Habicht 6x42. Send it to Swarovski and let them go through it before you even mount it. It would be hard to beat for a fixed 6x.

There are a few on ebay right now. Couple that look fairly rough, but one that is pretty clean.

I know you want fixed, but what about a LPVO? Lots of good options in that department nowadays.
Ive considered that. My goal with my rifle is to get 6x in the lightest possibly optic. Main reason against LVPO's is because they are heavy vs a fixed power. Sometimes by over half a pound. and most of them have illumination, which I also dont want. I personally dont want any zoom; 6x is a happy medium where I can shoot close in and also shoot out to the effective range of my rifle. Though, if I were to find a SWFA Ultralight, I might throw it on top of my 6x45.

I too have long preferred a fixed 6x scope. I've used Swarovski, S & B, and a Leupold FXIII. I have an older style Schmidt Bender 6x42 that I'd sell, if you are interested. It has the L7 reticle. It has seen some use but is optically perfect and the price is right.

Attachments

• 240215 S B a.jpg
    240215 S B a.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 17
  • 240215 S B b.jpg
    240215 S B b.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 17
I too have long preferred a fixed 6x scope. I've used Swarovski, S & B, and a Leupold FXIII. I have an older style Schmidt Bender 6x42 that I'd sell, if you are interested. It has the L7 reticle. It has seen some use but is optically perfect and the price is right.
Illuminated? how much and whats it weigh?

Recent Posts