Coyotes and wild dogs.

If you are looking for knock down power, the suppressed SRT 77/44 is an option. They also do encore barrels.

265gr subs are a factory option or you could load +300 grain flying ash trays cast from soft lead that will open right up.
@ .429~, they don really have to open up but you're right.

I would go with a cheap ruger american predator in 300blk out. Shoot them with some 220gr subsonic rounds
One must be careful with Longer barrel .300 Blk outs & prove them.

It's been my experience that Store bought subs go super when fired from a 16-18" .300BO.

How does an Officer loading the ammo fit into this equation?

How about a set of shooting sticks ? Head shots are small targets it might be all you need. The 22lr Remington yellow jacket was my favorite back when I night hunted for fox n coons. I would try out the brands you pick to see what your 22 likes also before making a big investment. Good Luck n Shoot Straight. :D

I'm a deputy for a very rural county in TN. Over the last few years we have been getting more and more calls on coyotes attacking pets. On wild pit bull mixes doing the same. These dogs can be up to 70 lbs. coyotes much smaller... as our animal control guys are totally undermanned and overwhelmed, many deputies like myself have started carrying a rim fire gun in the trunk to take care of the problem when it's in a subdivision etc. it's very frowned upon to cut loose an AR 15 in a subdivision... my question to you all is, would you be comfortable with a 22lr for this? 17hmr? 22 mag? Right now I have a 22lr loaded with stingers and i have made several headshots that did not instantly incapacitate big coyotes or big dogs... this has me Kind of down on my 10/22 and making me consider a 22 mag or maybe 17wsm... what say you all?
17 WSM is a very good one in my opinion!! Especially when it hits something under 100 yards !!

I'm a deputy for a very rural county in TN. Over the last few years we have been getting more and more calls on coyotes attacking pets. On wild pit bull mixes doing the same. These dogs can be up to 70 lbs. coyotes much smaller... as our animal control guys are totally undermanned and overwhelmed, many deputies like myself have started carrying a rim fire gun in the trunk to take care of the problem when it's in a subdivision etc. it's very frowned upon to cut loose an AR 15 in a subdivision... my question to you all is, would you be comfortable with a 22lr for this? 17hmr? 22 mag? Right now I have a 22lr loaded with stingers and i have made several headshots that did not instantly incapacitate big coyotes or big dogs... this has me Kind of down on my 10/22 and making me consider a 22 mag or maybe 17wsm... what say you all?
Shooting in a subdivision, you must and I'm sure you do take into consideration all the risks. The 22 mag should fill the bill. Slightly loud, but will have the heavier bullets.

Maybe you could get a loaner to try out.

Keep us advised please.

This isn't a bad idea - I like how you can store these full of compressed air so they are ready to go. But man, the price...thats a little more than a 22 mag or 17hmr.
But the barrels almost never need to be cleaned and you can buy dead soft lead bullets or cast your own for a lot cheaper than buying cartridges! There are also moderators available (DonyFL) that can make even my .458 cal. mouse f@rt quiet while shooting a 500gn bullet and getting 500+ FPE. That doesn't sound like much but the surprising thing is how well it gets the job done. I have taken white tail, three at a time, that were standing in a bunch before they finally figured out the area had grown unhealthy for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.