Coyote shotgun ammo and choke test

I would love to use Buckshot, however, the state of Oklahoma has decided to make it illegal. So I am looking for the best alternative. The 3.5" T's only put 14 pellets in the 10 inch circle. The Winchester 4's put 112 pellets in the 10" circle at 50 yards. It looked shot to heck. I agree with you on the loss of energy so I will limit my shots to 50 yards. Would also love to find a better option. Anyone with ideas?

This may help. 344 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. This is a 12 gauge 870 3.5" with a 24" barrel. This is one of my turkey guns.

1F83F626-0524-40E4-9EF1-0F2960E36A3B_zpsd1hnymew.jpg

Here's my new turkey gun. A 20 ga 870 with 21" barrel. 271 pellets in the 10" circle at 40 yards.

21AD59EF-FD8B-488A-88E4-282952302096_zpsarma0bnu.jpg

I bet those 7.5's would penetrate the same or better than those BBs at 50 yards. The 9's will penetrate like a 4 or 5 lead at 40 yards.

Say what? Lost me with these statements. If I HAD to be shot with 7 1/2s or BBs at a distance of 50 yds, and ISIS gave me an option, I'd choose 7 1/2s.

I actually got to see a buddy shoot a 40 yard coyote that came into a turkey setup with the 20ga/ tungsten 7.5 shot this spring while turkey hunting. shot it 2x and it ran off. I wouldnt recomend it, but then I also wouldnt recommend #4 or #5 shot for coyotes either. Go with the biggest shot you can use there.

I actually got to see a buddy shoot a 40 yard coyote that came into a turkey setup with the 20ga/ tungsten 7.5 shot this spring while turkey hunting. shot it 2x and it ran off. I wouldnt recomend it, but then I also wouldnt recommend #4 or #5 shot for coyotes either. Go with the biggest shot you can use there.

Did he shoot it with TSS or factory heavyweights? If they were factory loads, I wouldn't use them either. If I had rolled my own using TSS, I'd use it and not think twice about it.

The 20 gauge is a light weight compared to a maximum load from a 3.5" 12 gauge. The 12 is shooting 2 ounces of #4 instead of 1 ounce of #7.5. In my way of thinking the 4's have to carry a lot more down range energy.

The 20 gauge is a light weight compared to a maximum load from a 3.5" 12 gauge. The 12 is shooting 2 ounces of #4 instead of 1 ounce of #7.5. In my way of thinking the 4's have to carry a lot more down range energy.

I'm shooting a 2.5 oz load of TSS in my 3.5" 12 ga. I'm using a 1 5/8 oz load of TSS in my 20 ga. If you're comparing #4 lead to the #7.5 TSS, the TSS should penetrate better.

I'm shooting a 2.5 oz load of TSS in my 3.5" 12 ga. I'm using a 1 5/8 oz load of TSS in my 20 ga. If you're comparing #4 lead to the #7.5 TSS, the TSS should penetrate better. This is comparing the shot only, not the different gauges.

Please factory loads only. I do not want to get back into shotgun reloading. Thanks

Lol. I understand. This is the first reloading that I've ever done. It was a good excuse to buy a drillpress.

As far as factory loads, The Nitro Ammo Company maybe the best bet. That's what I was shooting turkeys with.

Did he shoot it with TSS or factory heavyweights? If they were factory loads, I wouldn't use them either. If I had rolled my own using TSS, I'd use it and not think twice about it.

hand loads. frankly seeing how well it performed on turkeys I was actually surprised it didnt kill the yote. He for shot dusted it 2x in the chest. May have run off and died.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts