Could milling rings from 34 to 35 “Hawkins hybrids” show strength/integrity problems on larger calibers?

CrowsFoot

I imagine this wouldn't be an issue with with some of the creeds or saums etc but wondering if anyone has seen any issues with something in the tune of 30nos or 300 prc

as long as you keep the holes straight/aligned I'd imagine you'll survive. you'll lose the anodizing obviously but anodizing has been lost for years for all those who lap.
plenty of lapped aluminum rings on magnums out there

According to some in the industry, raw aluminum gives better grip than ano. Area 419 had some testing done on this.

You'll be removing less than .020" of material - from an engineering perspective, that's really not a lot.

Practically speaking, the biggest challenge I see is fixturing.

Might be better off honing than milling, as aluminum has a tendency to move... (Especially that soft 6061 stuff 😜)

Hard to see the juice being worth the squeeze when a guy can just sell the 34mm rings in the classifieds, and pickup some 35's.

Just my .02

Edit:

Whoops, didnt realize that 'hybrid' 35's are not yet available...

Last edited:
I'd fire off the question to hawkins, they are usually really good about answering questions. Last fall they had a thread on one of these forums that hybrids would eventually come in 35mm. Didn't put an exact timeline but maybe the timeline works for you. BIL has a set on a Tikka that someone was making to 35mm, but it's on a 6.5 can't speak to high recoil.

Doubt that. I mean they sell 35mm rings (not hybirds) so I'm not sure how that would logically make sense. Of course I am no expert but it's not like Hawkins sells rings based on caliber selection.

I prefer their hybirds but it erks me that they dont offer them in 35mm. Hawkins actually referred me to a certain shop to have their 34s opened up to 35. They actually told they would still honor their warranty if I used this individual for the procedure. This tells me there is a non-issue with this proceedure given its done correctly.

I'd fire off the question to hawkins, they are usually really good about answering questions. Last fall they had a thread on one of these forums that hybrids would eventually come in 35mm. Didn't put an exact timeline but maybe the timeline works for you. BIL has a set on a Tikka that someone was making to 35mm, but it's on a 6.5 can't speak to high recoil.
That's interesting cuz they told me there wasn't a high enough need to make them in 35mm. Which is why referred me to another gentleman. There is also a company that I believe is from Australia (think but I could be wrong) that does them for tikka only. I have talked with them as well. Or maybe it was Florida...at any rate tikkas are not for me so....

Last edited:
That's interesting cuz they told me there wasn't a high enough need to make them in 35mm. Which is why referred me to another gentleman. There is also a company that I believe is from Australia (think but I could be wrong) that does them for tikka only. I have talked with them as well. Or maybe it was Florida...at any rate tikkas are not for me so....
Last I checked they had no intention of it but that was about 6 months ago.

I sure hope they add 35s to their hybrid line. I for one prefer direct mounts on actions that don't have integral rails. Screwing your mounts to another piece that's screwed to the action seems a bit redundant IMO

According to some in the industry, raw aluminum gives better grip than ano. Area 419 had some testing done on this.

You'll be removing less than .020" of material - from an engineering perspective, that's really not a lot.

Practically speaking, the biggest challenge I see is fixturing.

Might be better off honing than milling, as aluminum has a tendency to move... (Especially that soft 6061 stuff 😜)

Hard to see the juice being worth the squeeze when a guy can just sell the 34mm rings in the classifieds, and pickup some 35's.

Just my .02

Edit:

Whoops, didnt realize that 'hybrid' 35's are not yet available...

I sure hope they add 35s to their hybrid line. I for one prefer direct mounts on actions that don't have integral rails. Screwing your mounts to another piece that's screwed to the action seems a bit redundant IMO
I'm of same opinion . 3-18 MK 5 checks a lot of boxes for me but sure seems like if you don't go adjustable or pack em high I personally have hard time with what's currently on market to get them down where I prefer. Those 20moa unity from gunwerks "look" like they had them figured out at about where I'd be happy but not my action.

I'm of same opinion . 3-18 MK 5 checks a lot of boxes for me but sure seems like if you don't go adjustable or pack em high I personally have hard time with what's currently on market to get them down where I prefer. Those 20moa unity from gunwerks "look" like they had them figured out at about where I'd be happy but not my action.
I agree. Just looked into those gunwerks rings. But their site says they are no longer available.....let's go hawkins! Give us some one stop direct mounts for a mark5!!!

I never thought of that. I guess a quick call to them would help us determine which (if any) receivers the mount would fit. I'm assuming you're talking about their new lightweight mount? Not technically a set of rings? I wish they would have just made it a set of rings instead of a mount and shaved that uneccesary bridge in the middle out. This is just a rant of mine but I can't seem to see the point of the bridge. Adds weight and my thumb likes to ride there when carrying my rifle. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

EDIT: Their site says the mount is compatible with new element actions only.....so a retrofit would seem necessary. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze over opening up the hawkins?