Convince me I need a 30mm rifle scope

The weight sucks, or the scope itself sucks?

Training physically for the weight, or training for shooting?

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but both!!! It does no good to be "shooting proficient", if you can't get where you need to be to make the shot because of physical limitations! JMO ! memtb

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but both!!! It does no good to be "shooting proficient", if you can't get where you need to be to make the shot because of physical limitations! JMO ! memtb

I was just asking. It wasn't clear.

I've never used the EP5. I've used the EP4, and it was a ok cheap scope. Just ok. Good for the price. I wouldn't expect it to be a ZCO or a Tangent for under $1000.

From this readers perspective, I have two guys saying something sucks and still don't have a single reason why except maybe weight.

Most Americans on average I don't imagine are in any kind of shape regardless, as a guy who's in pretty good shape. By military standards, not my standards. Like I said, I was just clarifying. Making the connection of using a scope that is a few ounces heavier as a fitness training aid wasn't apparently obvious to me.

I was just asking. It wasn't clear.

I've never used the EP5. I've used the EP4, and it was a ok cheap scope. Just ok. Good for the price. I wouldn't expect it to be a ZCO or a Tangent for under $1000.

From this readers perspective, I have two guys saying something sucks and still don't have a single reason why except maybe weight.

Most Americans on average I don't imagine are in any kind of shape regardless, as a guy who's in pretty good shape. By military standards, not my standards. Like I said, I was just clarifying. Making the connection of using a scope that is a few ounces heavier as a fitness training aid wasn't apparently obvious to me.

I only mentioned the weight, along with the size, is that…..even for a hunter in fair shape, spending a day hiking/hunting at 8K+ feet, by day's end the ounces add up.

For a pretty physical hunt, I'm not certain that the gains of a mid-grade, large, heavy scope will focally outperform a much smaller, lighter high end scope!

In the end……it all depends upon what the hunter can physically accomplish and what his/her expectations are.

I've often said, long before I got old and soft, "I wish my hunting rifle weighs two pounds less when I'm carrying it…….and two pounds more when I'm shooting from the bench"! 😉 By the way, my rifle scoped/fully loaded/slung weighs 9lbs. 1 oz. memtb

Last edited:
I only mentioned the weight, along with the size, it that…..even for a hunter in fair shape, spending a day hiking/hunting at 8K+ feet, by day's end the ounces add up.

For a pretty physical hunt, I'm not certain that the gains of a mid-grade, large, heavy scope will focally outperform a much smaller, lighter high end scope!

In the end……it all depends upon what the hunter can physically accomplish and what his/her expectations are.

I've often said, long before I got old and soft, "I wish my hunting rifle weighs two pounds less when I'm carrying it…….and two pounds more when I'm shooting from the bench"! 😉 By the way, my rifle scoped/fully loaded/slung weighs 9lbs. 1 oz. memtb
I just got back from two 5 day backpack expeditions. I didn't come to argue or comment on about the scopes specs people should use, how others hunt, or people's physical training, or lack there of.

I was just curious what's up with the EP5.

Just to end a lot of the misinformation and old school beliefs handed down by coffee shop hunters. I think everyone should watch this video. It's long but better than a life time of not understanding.

I just finished watching this video. Apparently, I've been using scopes wrong since I started using them. Tapped on scope after reticle adjustment, yes. Dial back diopter the whole way and adjust forward, never. I adjusted diopter back until reticle was yielded clear and in daylight not dusk. Adjusted windage and elevation 20-30 times, full in and out, NEVER.

In my world;
1. Buy rifle, 2. buy scope, 3. buy mounts and rings, 4. mount scope & bore sight, 5. sight scope at 100yds with preferred factory ammunition loading only making the minimum adjustments as necessary to scope, 6. put sling on & go hunting. ;-)

Could use a bit more info if you please.

Where do you hunt, what do you hunt and to what ranges do you take game on a consistent basis?
I've hunted in Colorado, Wyoming, Newfoundland, Ontario, Ohio, West Virginia, Texas and my home state of Pennsylvania. Deer, elk, bear, caribou, antelope.

This is kinda of my one "perfect" rifle project. I chose the 280ai as it compares quite closely to the 7mm Rem Mag. in a lighter base package and since was legitimized by Nosler and recognized by SAAMI in 2008 factory ammo is available. Tikka because it has the smoothest action, although mine is a T3 not the T3x, more metal in the action (stiffer with the smaller ejection port?), McGowen stainless fluted 22.5" barrel with action and barrel cerakoted. Murphy Precision stainless steel black cerakoted picatinny rail and Seekins rings. I'm still playing with the final end product. I have a laminated Boyds stock and a OMR Bridger carbon fiber stock, still in their shipping boxes, to try over the factory Roughtech stock that I added the factory cheekpiece and upright grip to and I ground a wedge spacer with decelerator recoil pad to adjust the pitch to a more neutral angle on also. I figured, why not look at a different scope, with Contessa or maybe Spuhr aesthetic rings. The spuhr rings could be helpful as the offset way they are would not obscure the side focus knob, if necassary. Ideally, set up to shoot up to 300 yds for bull elk.

I find a large heavy scope on a lightly built rifle, such as a REM 700 SPS, or Win Model 70 EW unsightly, awkward and unbalanced, maybe this is a perspective thing, but to me, having done it, I choose not to, even though my 300RUM is set up exactly like this, but I was expecting to "dial" for shots, which I did. However, it's not staying this way…

Cheers.

If you are interested at all in the drop test evals on rokslide, the trijicon Huron 3-9 is apparently a pretty robust scope with a 1" tube

If you just want a set it and forget it scope for MPBR distances, that would probably be the one Id get. Other than this application, 1" tubed scopes on the market don't have any appeal to me personally
I took a look at one of these and the specs show 2.5-3.7 eye relief, 2.5 seems a bit short.

I just finished watching this video. Apparently, I've been using scopes wrong since I started using them. Tapped on scope after reticle adjustment, yes. Dial back diopter the whole way and adjust forward, never. I adjusted diopter back until reticle was yielded clear and in daylight not dusk. Adjusted windage and elevation 20-30 times, full in and out, NEVER.

In my world;
1. Buy rifle, 2. buy scope, 3. buy mounts and rings, 4. mount scope & bore sight, 5. sight scope at 100yds with preferred factory ammunition loading only making the minimum adjustments as necessary to scope, 6. put sling on & go hunting. ;-)
Tactical scopes are not made for peeps like you. Most people don't need them. They are made for the those shooting long range on a regular basis. I did all those things too until getting in long range shooting as a normal activity and not just a once a year seasonal hunt. In the end, the folks on that video are true experts and the rest of us are arm chair quarter backs, there are those that know and those who think they know.