Comparing chrono data to results on target

As I mentioned and Doom2 described, barrel tune and powder tune are separate and different.
As well, accuracy and precision are separate and different.

Ideally you would have perquisites out of the way (primers/bullet seating/brass fire forming) and find powder tune.
Then twist a barrel tuner to put shots at furthest intended distance on top of each other.
If this is for hunting, you then back up to cold bore accuracy testing/adjusting.

If you don't have a barrel tuner then it's unlikely that you will see powder and barrel tunes truly together.
You're dealing with best compromise.
Unless your ES is outrageous, barrel tune should dominate to reasonable distances. If you're nailing a bullseye at 800yds from a field rest, you should still be hitting at 500 or 200. If that bullseye represents your killzone, then you may have an 800yd hunting capability.
Precision-wise this could be ugly with a shotgun pattern, but accuracy-wise you just need to hit the killzone.
For hunting you need to be able to do it with one cold bore shot. If you can't do that, you don't have an 800yd hunting capability, and nothing else matters.

As a hunter, it's accuracy that defines my capabilities.
I may have gun (A) that shoots terrible groups, but with it I can count on hitting a groundhog in the chest to ~600yds with any single cold bore shot. Then I may have competitive gun (B) that groups very well to 600 and beyond, per design, but the groups shift all around at different distances and temperatures. It's accuracy, cold or hot, sucks.
I sell off gun (B), and keep gun (A).
If gun (C) does both well, but (A) is still more accurate, I don't need (C) as much (no matter it's cost).

I have been fortunate to find a great load that works for me at sub .5 on both suppressed and not. Just have to try again when it gets cold. This weather isn't great for hunting load development. My area for shooting is max 400yds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240614_144252_ShotView.jpg
    Screenshot_20240614_144252_ShotView.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 9
As I mentioned and Doom2 described, barrel tune and powder tune are separate and different.
As well, accuracy and precision are separate and different.

Ideally you would have perquisites out of the way (primers/bullet seating/brass fire forming) and find powder tune.
Then twist a barrel tuner to put shots at furthest intended distance on top of each other.
If this is for hunting, you then back up to cold bore accuracy testing/adjusting.

If you don't have a barrel tuner then it's unlikely that you will see powder and barrel tunes truly together.
You're dealing with best compromise.
Unless your ES is outrageous, barrel tune should dominate to reasonable distances. If you're nailing a bullseye at 800yds from a field rest, you should still be hitting at 500 or 200. If that bullseye represents your killzone, then you may have an 800yd hunting capability.
Precision-wise this could be ugly with a shotgun pattern, but accuracy-wise you just need to hit the killzone.
For hunting you need to be able to do it with one cold bore shot. If you can't do that, you don't have an 800yd hunting capability, and nothing else matters.

As a hunter, it's accuracy that defines my capabilities.
I may have gun (A) that shoots terrible groups, but with it I can count on hitting a groundhog in the chest to ~600yds with any single cold bore shot. Then I may have competitive gun (B) that groups very well to 600 and beyond, per design, but the groups shift all around at different distances and temperatures. It's accuracy, cold or hot, sucks.
I sell off gun (B), and keep gun (A).
If gun (C) does both well, but (A) is still more accurate, I don't need (C) as much (no matter it's cost).
Thanks! That’s very informative and exactly what I was looking for.

I have been fortunate to find a great load that works for me at sub .5 on both suppressed and not. Just have to try again when it gets cold. This weather isn't great for hunting load development. My area for shooting is max 400yds.
You ain’t lying. I was trying to get the is done before it got hot, then bam, out of nowhere it’s knocking on 100.

I used Barnes load data. .4 grain below max. I know I can get more speed and even go above max but why do that with an accurate load. Now to get the other rifles to do the same.