Colorado do-it-yourself Antelope Hunt

tduncan123

I watched a Colorado public land antelope hunt on the Outdoor Channel the other day and would really like to plan a 2010 trip. If anyone has any information or advice on a self-guided, public land hunt in Colorado I would really appreciate the help.

Tom

tduncan123.

In the grasslands we hunt north of Denver, area 87, it takes 7+ years to get enough points to draw a buck tag. It's the only area we apply for since it only takes 20 minutes to start hunting. In the interim we hunt Wyoming since we can get to an area in a couple of hours. Yon need to download the Big Game brochure for Colorado and check on the areas you want to hunt. Then you need to check the Statistics for the points needed in that area. Statistics - Colorado Division of Wildlife

It's always fun to do a little dreaming.:)

CSPSgt

Sarge is right......7 plus yrs to draw a tag. here in the SLV my daughter drew a tag this yr after 8 yrs applying. there were some private land vouchers available in some areas. you buy these from the landowner and then buy your tag , but they are mostly for does......contact the CDOW for availability...AJ

As a non-resident I have been trying to draw a public land tag for 9 years in Colorado. No luck yet. I drew one when I lived near Clorado Springs but not since.

I'd apply in Colorado since you get the most of the money back if you don't draw a tag. It's the way to start accumulating points. They keep the search and rescue fee and if you come up here to camp and hike the mountains and have a mishap you are covered. When the money comes back you can get an over the counter tag in Wyoming.

This is my first antelope hunt. Would I be better off just driving to Wyoming and buying an over-the-counter tag? Are there always tags available?

Here is the list of the licenses left. Wyoming Game and Fish - License Availability Selection There are a lot more dow/fawn than buck tags available. You'll need to look at their map and get your map out showing public property and do a little research to find an area you can hunt. Here is their home page Wyoming Game and Fish - Home - 1 Unfortunately it's not the easiest web page to navigate. :cool:

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
moz-screenshot.png

Sounds like I've got a lot to learn before making the trek out west. I've been talking to my hunting partner about waiting until 2010 to make the trip. All Oklahoma antelope are draw only, once in a lifetime tags. After 16 years of trying I finally drew a cow elk tag this year in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Preserve near Lawton, Ok. Any tips on planning a 2010 hunt to Wyoming? I've been looking at the website and it is very confusing. The main reason we were cosidering Colorado is becuse of the drive time.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.