Cold Toes

Go to see your reg doctor. If medically cleared, THEN you can experiment with different boots, socks, heated insoles or whatever.

I hear ya. I'm in the same boat and getting worse with age. I usually do the polypropylene bottom layer with merino wool on top then a insulated boot. Just bought some new insulated mucks to try out but even then they still feel cold.

I wore a big pair of baffin snowmobile boots a couple weeks ago for winter league skeet shoot. they work but man are they heavy. When I took them off it was like I was walking on air. Not sure If I could hike in to my spot in them when I am in colorado . Have a hard a nuff problem getting there now with my meindl ultra lights. I am do for a CDL physical in April going to mention it then and see what he has to say.

At the risk of stating the obvious: are your boots large enough and do you lace them too tight? Buddy of mine always complained of cold feet when we were in the woods, until I watched him lace up one morning at camp. You might have thought he was tuning guitar strings or some such. I mentioned he might be over-doing things a bit and showed him how I set the tension in my laces with a little "wiggle-room". He hasn't had a problem since.

No I have even tried leaving real loose even to the extent that the laces will come out of the quick hitches. and come untied. I already wear a wide . so the room is there I believe . I did try the little toe warmers again moved them up further on my toes but it wasn't real cold but I dealt with the feeling of them being there.If they can't figure out why. I think I will try heated socks maybe I can turn them on and off easily .

NEOPRENE VBLs

You need a Vapor Barrier Liner (VBL)

Buy a pair of 3 mm thick neoprene divers sox and 4 or 5 pair of thin polyester or polypropylene liner sox. US Divers brand neoprene sox are best B/C they are factory seam sealed (a must) and are marked Left and Right dedicated sox so they fit better W/O bunching.

Wear them as you would wear relatively thick wool socks but they will keep you much warmer ALL DAY.
At night remove the VBL sox, turn them inside-out to dry. Remove the skanky smelling liner socks and let your feet dry. Next day use new liner socks.

I have used this VBL method for decades and my felt pac liners or ski boot foam liners always stay dry and warm.
I am a former Nordic Ski Patroller and Alpine Ski Patroller (16 years total) and former US Army ROTC Cadet Winter Survival instructor. I do know whereof I speak when it comes to winter clothing.

Eric B.

P.S. In sub-zero winter camping people often also wear VBL suits over a thin base layer. It's a bit clammy in the morning but for a multi-day trip your sleeping bag is warm EVERY night and does not slowly accumulate heat robbing moisture.

Read the story of the British Scott South Pole expedition of the early 1900s. They all died of hypothermia B/C they had no sleeping bag VBLs and the down bags all eventually froze solid.
On the other hand Roald Amundsen's Norwegian expedition beat Scott to the pole and made it back to their base in good shape B/C they used reindeer sleep "robes" which could have the body moisture brushed off after it froze when dried out in the mornings. As well the Norwegians travelled much faster than the Brits because they all were on cross country skis.

Last edited:
unclefish, with all respect , bath your feet more pamper them soak them elevate them, wont wear cotton in winter feet sweat socks get wet chill feet esp toes. change socks often , try a sprinkle of Red cayenne pepper in your shoes , we are all getting older that don't mean we ain't smart . by now gotta change my socks lol!!!

JE Custom is right. Part of it is just probably age. Also, when we get old, we sit more. The pressure on your butt and back of the thighs from the chair cuts off circulation. Do that for 20 years and one day your brain engages and tells you your cold. Miracle socks and high lace boots may well choke circulation as well.... .

^^^ Circulation is a big deal, I try not to sit on/in something that will put a lot of pressure in one place... don't use a folding chair that has a supporting bar across the front. If you can make slow very controlled walk around your spot very while or so to stimulate the circulation.

If you are not walking a lot "Pac boots" have a thick insulation, but not much support.

I use boot insulators (Artic Shield) and place a "hot hand" packet or two in each one. I put these on as quick I get to my stand and don't wait until your feet are getting cold. So the heat does not go in your boot but between your and the boot insulator.

If your feet sweat up after walking in, maybe take a extra pair of dry sock and put them on after you to where you are going.

Good Luck and Be Safe,

NEOPRENE VBLs

You need a Vapor Barrier Liner (VBL)

Buy a pair of 3 mm thick neoprene divers sox and 4 or 5 pair of thin polyester or polypropylene liner sox. US Divers brand neoprene sox are best B/C they are factory seam sealed (a must) and are marked Left and Right dedicated sox so they fit better W/O bunching.

Wear them as you would wear relatively thick wool socks but they will keep you much warmer ALL DAY.
At night remove the VBL sox, turn them inside-out to dry. Remove the skanky smelling liner socks and let your feet dry. Next day use new liner socks.

I have used this VBL method for decades and my felt pac liners or ski boot foam liners always stay dry and warm.
I am a former Nordic Ski Patroller and Alpine Ski Patroller (16 years total) and former US Army ROTC Cadet Winter Survival instructor. I do know whereof I speak when it comes to winter clothing.

Eric B.

P.S. In sub-zero winter camping people often also wear VBL suits over a thin base layer. It's a bit clammy in the morning but for a multi-day trip your sleeping bag is warm EVERY night and does not slowly accumulate heat robbing moisture.

Read the story of the British Scott South Pole expedition of the early 1900s. They all died of hypothermia B/C they had no sleeping bag VBLs and the down bags all eventually froze solid.
On the other hand Roald Amundsen's Norwegian expedition beat Scott to the pole and made it back to their base in good shape B/C they used reindeer sleep "robes" which could have the body moisture brushed off after it froze when dried out in the mornings. As well the Norwegians travelled much faster than the Brits because they all were on cross country skis.
READ THIS AND TRY IT . 100 PERCENT WORKS.
NO MORE COLD TOES
A huge thanks goes out to Litehiker

My dad had got cold feet in his early 60's, combination of diabetes and accumulated wear and tear, he would carry a pair of mickey mouse boots...for a lack of better way to describe them...in his pack and when he got out to the stand or hide would put a pair of disposable hot shots in them to warm... then change out of his walking boots and wear the Mickey's, doing the reverse before he was ready to walk out... I found a pair of neoprene insulated over boots..made for operators of heavy equipment...not all caterpillars come with enclosed cabs....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.