Coated bullets and optical chronographs?

While I am certainly no engineer and do not have the equipment to test lubricity, but after many years of dealing with all types of equipment, ranging from lawn mowers; cars, trucks, heavy equipment up to including large back hoes and dozers, not to mention piston and jet aircraft, not to mention the vast improvement in all types of lubricants from 10 in 1 and sewing machine oils, to heavy duty engine and high temp aircraft engine oils it has been my experience that, by increasing lubricity you decrease friction, not the opposite. (how is that for a run on sentence?) Adding a lubricant coating to a bullet will decrease the friction of the bullet traveling down the barrel, which should cause a slightly higher muzzle velocity than an un-lubricated bullet. You should not have to bump the powder to get the muzzle velocity back up to what an un-lubricated bullets speed is. For those of you who aspire that the coating increases the size of the projectile resulting in an increase in bullet diameter, the thickness of the lubricant would be measured in ten thousandths of an inch, which is essentially meaningless. There is more variation in bullet diameter and weight during the manufacturing process than the coating could ever change. Laws of physics do not arbitrarily change.
I think what happens (in my mind) by decreasing resistance and/or friction on the bearing surface, the bullet slides down the barrel so easy that the powder doesn't have time to burn completely. We all know that a crimp can increase pressure, so it stands to reason, that decreased friction can lower pressure.

Recent Posts