CLR for cleaning a nickel boron bcg?

Stugots

Is it safe to use CLR for cleaning a nickel boron bcg? I have a number of BCG's that are made of nickel boron and was wondering if the chemicals in CLR will harm any of the parts in it. IE - Firing pin, bolt, gas key etc.

I'm guessing that this question is rooted in the history of nickel plating's tendency to be lifted by gun solvents. While it is a nickel plating, this is a different, better refined process than the plating that earned that reputation. With this process I don't worry about it.

Despite the name I've never thought that CLR as any good at cleaning. I use normal gun solvents for that.

I have used CLR for cleaning titanium and 17/4 steel baffles on my suppressors and it works great! I break down the suppressors, put them in a glass canning jar full of CLR and let it go to town for a few days. I think it's pretty amazing how well it removes carbon, lead etc. from the baffles of a .22 can.
Any idea how CLR would react to phosphate or nitride bolts?

Like Mike D, I normally can just wipe them down and they're clean, but then I don't shoot any of the AR's often enough to really get a build-up inside of the BCG. No idea if that build-up even happens as it doesn't on mine.

Tangential:
Need to be really careful with cleaning Ti parts. Some solvents will form a metal salt inside the part and turn it to goo. Gunscrubber is in a family of solvents that can do this. I don't know that it will, just that its chemical make-up is very, very close to being one of those that will. Suggest researching this before continuing.

I built 4 AR's and every year I go out prairie dog hunting out west and shoot the heck out of all 4 of them. (l run a brush with some copper remover in my .204 Ruger after a good day of shooting as I notice it's accuracy slip a little). I HATE the cleaning process, but I will do it religiously after I get back from my trip. I was looking for a short cut or 2 in the cleaning process is all...

I never had the need to use anything other than guns parts cleaner on my nickel boron bcg's

I built 4 AR's and every year I go out prairie dog hunting out west and shoot the heck out of all 4 of them. (l run a brush with some copper remover in my .204 Ruger after a good day of shooting as I notice it's accuracy slip a little). I HATE the cleaning process, but I will do it religiously after I get back from my trip. I was looking for a short cut or 2 in the cleaning process is all...
I get that!

Perhaps the right solvent in an Ultrasonic cleaner? I use Citrinox in mine, but not for this purpose.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.