Christensen arms vs proof

shooterpunk2

Seems like Christensen arms had a rough go a while ago with lots of people not getting the accuracy they wanted. More recently I read mostly very positive reviews on them.

I've been thinking about selling off a few rifles and doing a build using either a Christensen arms barrel or a proof barrel. Christensen are a little cheaper, but which do you think is the more accurate barrel?

I don't believe their is any accuracy difference between the 2 companies now days... The most accurate rifle in my house was built just over a year ago with a CA barrel... For the last build I tried to order a barrel from CA but they have none in their store for months now.... I think every barrel they make goes to their own rifles.... So do yourself a favor and just go Proof...Dave

A will second what dgarrett said. Both are accurate. I prefer cut rifled barrels for a number of reasons but would not be afraid of another CA if the price was right. Another great option is Hells Canyon Armory. Mike uses Benchmark blanks which are one of the best.

The only barrel that we have ever had trouble with copper fouling, with our bullets, was a CA rifle. Took me all afternoon shooting and cleaning to get the copper to stop. Took nearly 100 shots to get this rifle to settle down. Have never seen anything close to this with any other factory or custom rifle.

I would not have a CA based on the one rifle sample that I have experienced. I have yet to talk with a smith that thinks they are good. Have talked with more than one smith making bank replacing CA barrels. Proof is the top of the heap.

Proof all the way. I have used a few CA barrels and I have not had a bad one but they are not as accurate and do not break in nearly as fast as my Proof barrels.

Seems like Christensen arms had a rough go a while ago with lots of people not getting the accuracy they wanted. More recently I read mostly very positive reviews on them.

I've been thinking about selling off a few rifles and doing a build using either a Christensen arms barrel or a proof barrel. Christensen are a little cheaper, but which do you think is the more accurate barrel?
You may want to look at McGowen barrels. They make some now that look exactly like the Christensen barrels. I did a rifle build last year with one and I am very pleased with the results.

You may want to look at McGowen barrels. They make some now that look exactly like the Christensen barrels. I did a rifle build last year with one and I am very pleased with the results.
Carbon Six uses McGowen blanks if I remember correctly.

I've used and shot dozens of ragged hole groups with both and I am confident that with proper smithing, I could flip a coin and get a <.5 MOA barrel

As far as preferences, I like that proof is wrapped on cut rifled blank. For CA, I like the lower price and I like that they come with a threaded muzzle with thread protector.

A lot of Gunsmiths tend not to like carbon wrapped barrels in general. There is a lot less room for error on a more expensive part. So, when you pick a smith, make sure he is comfortable working under the additional pressure of getting it right the first time.

Last edited:
I have 2 Proof barrels in carbon fiber, 6.5 and 7mm, both shoot great. I have found that when shooting them they are sensitive to a shooters fundamentals. So take some time to shoot them like you would shoot when hunting. Example, shooting off of packs, tripods, and bipods. I'm sure most know this but I'll say it anyway, zero your rifle using the position you use to shoot from the most. Example, prone with a bipod and good rear bag. Zeroing in a sled and then shooting in the prone, off a bipod will very likely show a POI shift.

As mentioned find a good smith that has experience chambering CF barrels! Proof use to camber barrels but i not sure they are still offering the service. If you need a recommendation PM me or call Proof and ask them for one.

Proof no longer does barreled actions or chambers. My 28 Nosler was the last one they did about 2 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.