Christensen Arms 16” 308 load data

Roughrice

I'm looking for information from those who may have a CA 16" 308 carbon fiber barrel.

In my attempt to assemble the perfect lightweight short barreled bolt rifle for suppressor use and ease of handling, I picked up a. Wry lightly used CA 308 barrel and put it on a Remington 700 SA and in Proof Elevate stock.
The balance and feel with the suppressor is absolutely perfect!

The problem:
I can't get this barrel to shoot under 1 1/2-2".
I have tried several 165-168's as well as 150's with a couple of different powders some of these loads tried shoot lights out in my other 20" Waypoint and Remington factory barrels.

I was getting 2650fps with 165 and CFE223 and 2750 with 150's and Tac. Target and IMR 4064 were slow but shot a small fraction better.
To me… this barrel should shoot smaller or at least 1moa being short and stiff.
I don't want to slow it down even more to find a node but I may have to.

Hoping maybe someone can chime in who had a similar problem with the same barrel and found a good hunting load.

Or… I got a bad barrel! 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Thanks.

I have 125 NBT.
My other 20"-24" 308's handle any weight range of bullet and they are all 10 twist with a couple 11.25 in the 24's.
I'm surprised… but it may become a tomato stake if it doesn't improve!
Maybe that's why I made a good deal. The smith said the customer only changed to go to another caliber.

Honestly. Bad barrel. I shoot a 17" MRAD and it's a tack driver with 175's .
CA isn't doing so hot when it comes to performance these days. Rebarrel it, you'd save time trying to make the current barrel work.

Well just shot another two loads.
Same 2" spread.
I've been running this Razor LH that was on my old trusty 3/4 MOA 30-06…I'll swap scopes now and try again.
I doubt this is the problem, but never know unless I try.
This is a pic of the assembly. It's going to get the benefit of full out tweaking and tuning before tossing it. It's just too F'ing sweet !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 5
Well just shot another two loads.
Same 2" spread.
I've been running this Razor LH that was on my old trusty 3/4 MOA 30-06…I'll swap scopes now and try again.
I doubt this is the problem, but never know unless I try.
This is a pic of the assembly. It's going to get the benefit of full out tweaking and tuning before tossing it. It's just too F'ing sweet !
Good looking rig, my buddy just replaced his barrel. He had the same issue, it got worse when he was running his can. So now, he switched barrels and is enjoying his new little toy!

Uh Oh... not looking good then.
I've read more bad than good about CA rifles and barrels.
I was just hoping they got this one right...Heck, it's a short 308... I've never seen one not shoot well enough for hunting.
I even borescoped it before screwing it up...Looked great all the way thru.