Check on Gordons' data

Paulbunyon

Reloading guru's, I took the plunge and stared working with Gordon's Reloading Tool a few months back with some good results just double checking book loads and getting comfortable with the software. I've recently acquired some Hammer Hunter (124gr) and HHT (122gr) bullets in .277 for my 270 winchester and while I understand it's not an optimum powder, I've got a surplus of Hodgdon 335 that I'd like to try for some loads with these little guys. This is the first time I'm running completely off book with GRT and the numbers I'm getting seem suspiciously high. The closest H335 data for 270win I can find on LoadData is for 110gr bullets running a max of 45.0 grains at just under 3100fps. GRT is suggesting I can run the 122 HHT's up to 50.0 grains with the results below. If possible, I'd rather not run a ladder starting at 40.0 if it is actually reasonable that a max load is around 50, but I obviously also don't want to cause a detonation on the firing line. Can I get a second look from QuickLoads or someone more experienced on GRT than me to take a look? FWIW, I'm running Hornady brass on second firing. Case length and volume are as measured below. Thanks!
1720222791200.png

My QuickLoad database does not list the 122gn HHT but I can show you results for the 124gn HH bullet using your other specifications. This shows velocities below the 3100 fps you reported. I hope this helps.

1720268444281.png

1720268502288.png

Roninco, much appreciated. I should have dropped in the numbers I had for the 124 as well. Since the bullet length is actually a little shorter than the 122, I've actually got the 124 stuffed in to the cartridge less, so slightly lower starting pressures. Loading both .020 off the lands. Either way, looks like 45gr is a safe place to start from. If for no other reason than a velocity check. Thanks again!

i would be a little skeptical of that load at only 80% fill with a ball powder. the chances of that load producing anything acceptable is pretty slim and has a chance of hang fires.
be careful with that load data.

@can1010 Thanks for that thought. Would magnum primers help prevent hang fires? Or, would that just create more problems?
I don't use ball powders if the fill goes below 90%. normally 93-98% has been a good spot for consistency, and clean burning. mag primers are recommended with ball powders but not sure with that low case fill because I have never tried it at those low percentages.

Can Gordon's Reloading Tool be used on iOS based Apple Products?

iPad...iMac...?

Thanks
NO. They have windows and Linux versions. I run on Linux. The continuation team for GRT NEXGEN says they will have an apple version scheduled next year. Among many other features.
You may be able to get a version of virtualbox and run on apple and then run grt within that. I run virtualbox on my Linux and run QL within windows and it works perfectly

Last edited:
When I'm running an oddball combo with QL I will load one round per charge just to where the velocity is.
Thanks, @cajun. I got the small order of these little guys (15 of each) and was trying to preserve them for accuracy node shots, but doesn't sound like that's going to be the smart play with an unknown powder combo. If I end up using the 335, I'll post results in case anyone else gets the same wild hair.

Recent Posts