Chassis users...?

matemike

Mcree vs XLR?

Hello everyone,

I broke my Savage 10 FLCP-K (Left hand) .308 Accumark stock. So now I've decided to set the barreled action into a chassis system and make it a better bench gun.

I really like the AICS but it's a no go for a Savage. Mcrees and XLR seem to be the only manufacturers that make something for a LEFT hand short action Savage. Of course I'm torn between the two.

If I went with the XLR I'd wait for the open barrel style "Element" to come out for my rifle which will be around the end of July according to Kyle at XLRindustries. The XLR "Evolution" has the wrap around hand guard which I will to avoid for easier scope mounting. (I already have a set up that I know fits well over the open barrel) So the Element it is. I'd like the Element to have the 14" hand guard though. We'll see if that becomes available too. The XLR's pretty much come in black only and I can live with that.

If I went with the Mcree it's a toss up between OD Green or FDE for the color. I'm leaning toward the OD green just because I see more and more FDE rifles and would like it to be a little different. The Mcree already has the 14" forearm available for sure.

Either way I want a solid chassis and not a folder.

Both chassis are in the same price range of $600-$700 once everything is said and done with grip, stock and magazine selection.

The Mcree seems to be a little more stout according to the general consensus of consumers who shoot Rem 700's. Therefore the Mcrees are a fraction heavier. But weight is not a concern for me since my rifle has a bull barrel plus it wears a 762-SDN-6 suppressor and a 30 oz scope anyway.

The XLR's seem to be the go-to for the Savage crowd. Maybe because they've been available longer, or first, or because there are more stock options and overall styles with the element, evolution, and carbon series.

Nonetheless, I have a first world problem here and trying to make a decision. If anyone has any insight I'd appreciate their response. Even if it's as simple as "can't go wrong with either"

Thank you folks,

-Mike

My first chassis was a McRee. Scott is an awesome dude to deal with & a stand up American. This was a Left hand R7L-TMAG for a Rem in 338 Ultra. After some mods to the AI magazine, it functioned very well, offered good accuracy & didn't break the bank.

On the down side, they're kinda ugly :cool: & they are heavy; but they are functional. I finally sold it as I like the "conventional" stocks better. Now that I have another "budget" build going on in a short action Savage, i've decided to give the XLR a go. Why? Because I can I guess. I don't believe you can go wrong with either.

If you think finding a stock for a Savage is hard.... try finding one for a LEFT hand Savage.... that'll drive you to drink, I promise :D

t

We just picked up a mcree for a match gun platform and put a snowy Mtn barreled action in it from one of our 406 class rifles and it is awesome. This one is a folder and when put in the scabbard of my eberlestock pack it's barely visible.
I agree that the look of the stock takes a little getting used too and it wouldn't be my first choice for a sheep hunt, but man is it a solid and adaptable platform for long range shooting.

Attachments

• 20140616_144446.jpg
    20140616_144446.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I bought an XLR chassis for my Remington 40XB, left-handed. Everything fit perfectly, works perfectly and was delivered on time. Customer service was great from start to finish.

I'd vote XLR.

Thanks for the replies guys...I went with an XLR and do not regret it one bit. This thing fit right up, looks great and is very ergonomic. I was a little worried about my Harris bipod getting a good fit since it is made for a rounded stock and I thought this chassis would have a flat bottom. NOt the case as seen in these pics.

I did however want just a slightly lower cheek weld than this stock could offer. A quick call to Kyle at XLR and he sent me a new stock/tube adapter to get a lower setting FREE OF CHARGE! I can't explain how great his business is. He returns calls and e-mails swiftly, and he works with you and gets you what you want. Hats off to Kyle and XLR.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.