Chasing a 28 Nosler tail?

Mickp7

I've had a Proof Trundra in 28 nosler for a couple years now. It came with their 26" 1:8.4 Sendero barrel, Defiance Ruckus action, Triggertech trigger.

I only started handloading recently. Prior, I had an out of state guy work up loads with a 150gr Barnes TTSX. It shot pretty well +/- moa at about 3350fps. Took an elk at 560 with it.

I've been working on a load using Nosler brass (so I can stick with one brand), 195 Bergers, N570, and 215m primers. Hit pressure a little over 80 grains and 3150 fps. Backed it down to 78.5 gr at 3030 fps and shot a couple groups at .020 off lands. Both 3 shot groups were right at 2" at 418 yards. Overlaying the groups they were .5 moa, which was plenty adequate by me.

Here's the reason for the post... when I started doing the pressure testing, the 195 Bergers were hitting nearly 24" lower than the 150 TTSX loads (at 418 yards). I dialed up to get it back on track before I shot the two 3-shot groups described above. I then loaded a few a bit higher to test the performance of a bit more FPS, and they impacted about 18" right and high... off the target altogether.
I then shot a few more of the 78.5 grain loads (the ones that grouped well with the first 6 shots) and they were all over the place, relatively speaking... greater than moa and very inconsistent impacts with original 6 shots.

Barrel has 200 or less rounds through it. My next step was going to be to double check scope torques (although I know they are good), thoroughly clean the barrel, run a few factory loads for fouling, and try some seating depth testing. If that doesn't work, maybe try the 180 hybrid.

My concern is the wildly varying load impacts and whether there may be a greater issue. I don't want to waste a bunch of time and components for nothing.

Any suggestions? Stick with the plan I have and see what happens? Consider a new barrel/ chambering? It should be a better shooter than it is acting...

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Don't take my word as gospel, but I also have a Proof Research 28 Nosler with the same twist rate you have (except mine has a 26" tube). I see two things that could be at play here:

A) This has already been mentioned, but cleaning the gun exceedingly well between bullets manufactured by different companies is advised, especially going from a monolithic to a cup and core design, which uses gilding metal for the jacket.

B) I called Proof years ago and asked them about the weight class I should ideally be shooting out of my 28. They said that an 8.4 twist is optimized for a 180 gr. pill. I'd love to run 195s but have standardized on the 180 ELMD.

I will add that the 28, in my experience, is a bit finnicky to load for. It's a temperamental creature, as are many big, overbore mags. I've also found that it much prefers to be cleaned every 40 rounds or so. And I'm not big on frequent cleaning. I only do it when the gun tells me to, and the Nosler seems to tell me frequently.

Anyhow, here's my load in case you're interested. It's a pretty mild load so far as the 28 is concerned, but the gun likes it. Speed is 3090 and it shoots .840" @ 200 yards when I'm doing my part.

- Nosler Brass
- 78 gr. H1000
- 180 gr. Hornady ELDM
- CCI 250
- 3.600 COAL

I don't particularly care for Nosler brass. I scooped up a bunch of Peterson 28 Nos brass for when it's time to rebarrel.

Last edited:
Don't take my word as gospel, but I also have a Proof Research 28 Nosler with the same twist rate you have (except mine has a 26" tube). I see two things that could be at play here:

A) This has already been mentioned, but cleaning the gun exceedingly well between bullets manufactured by different companies is advised, especially going from a monolithic to a cup and core design, which uses gilding metal for the jacket.

B) I called Proof years ago and asked them about the weight class I should ideally be shooting out of my 28. They said that an 8.4 twist is optimized for a 180 gr. pill. I'd love to run 195s but have standardized on the 180 ELMD.

I will add that the 28, in my experience, is a bit finnicky to load for. It's a temperamental creature, as are many big, overbore mags. I've also found that it much prefers to be cleaned every 40 rounds or so. And I'm not big on frequent cleaning. I only do it when the gun tells me to, and the Nosler seems to tell me frequently.

Anyhow, here's my load in case you're interested. It's a pretty mild load so far as the 28 is concerned, but the gun likes it. Speed is 3090 and it shoots .840" @ 200 yards when I'm doing my part.

- Nosler Brass
- 78 gr. H1000
- 180 gr. Hornady ELDM
- CCI 250
- 3.600 COAL

I don't particularly care for Nosler brass. I scooped up a bunch of Peters 28 Nos brass for when it's time to barrel.
I love my two 28 Ns. I don't have my newest Lapua with me in CO right now, but hands down my 28 is the easiest to hit my 760 and 910 gongs. I haven't found it that finicky - 76.5 Re33 in both of them (both have barrels from F Class Products). My velocity is 2980, so not terribly fast, but good enough.

I am coming to the realization that my LR guns should be cleaned about every 60 rounds, especially when using Retumbo. When my vertical impacts start to get larger, that is the time to clean. Why vertical? Because horizontal miscues might be the wind.

I love my two 28 Ns. I don't have my newest Lapua with me in CO right now, but hands down my 28 is the easiest to hit my 760 and 910 gongs. I haven't found it that finicky - 76.5 Re33 in both of them (both have barrels from F Class Products). My velocity is 2980, so not terribly fast, but good enough.

I am coming to the realization that my LR guns should be cleaned about every 60 rounds, especially when using Retumbo. When my vertical impacts start to get larger, that is the time to clean. Why vertical? Because horizontal miscues might be the wind.
Good input. Retumbo is great powder, but it IS DIRTY. LOL

Did you sight the rifle in with the 195s, or just use your 150 POI?

Are you running a suppressor? Could be loose?

I don't think your ammo the problem, something is loose?

That's good input. If you your picatinny rail isn't integral/monolithic, it's worth checking the screws that hold the picatinny rail to the receiver. I watched a buddy miss a bear by 6 feet because the whole picatinny rail came loose after about 30 boot miles.

Thanks for the replies.
I bounced this off my gunsmith as well and he explained that the use of uncle mikes thread lock actually acts as a lubricant and can lead to over torque on ring screws. With a bit of research, it sounds like this is well known, but I'd always followed the system from another old school gunsmith that taught me to mount optics many years ago. I'm going to remount the scope (without thread lock). If that doesn't do it, I'll try some 180 hybrids.

Original sight in was 150's, then I adjusted to the 195's (at 418 yards). I am focusing on the load Dvlp so wasn't going to reset the turrets until the load was finalized.

No suppressor… APA fat bastard brake.

- Nosler Brass
- 78 gr. H1000
- 180 gr. Hornady ELDM
- CCI 250
- 3.600 COAL

I don't particularly care for Nosler brass. I scooped up a bunch of Peterson 28 Nos brass for when it's time to rebarrel.
Thanks for all the feedback. I've heard similar accounts on the 28 nosler… Pruce to be paid for speed I guess.
Once the scope is remounted, 180's are probably the next step. I've got 20 +\- 195's loaded to try first, but it may well be the twist just isn't fast enough.
I'll give it a good cleaning as well!

Original sight in was 150's, then I adjusted to the 195's (at 418 yards). I am focusing on the load Dvlp so wasn't going to reset the turrets until the load was finalized.

No suppressor… APA fat bastard brake.
They sight in with the 150s probably explains the 24" low at 400 part?

Check that brake also, had them come loose and cause problems.

Good luck