Changing a 2 3/4 to 3"

blackco

I have a rem1100 that is a 2 3/4". Does anyone know if I put a 3" barrel on it can the action/ejection port handle 3" shells. Looking for experience or anyone's 2cents.

Thanks

It can probably be made to work but like NYLES said their is some differance in the older 2 3/4" recievers and the newer 3" , I woulden't risk having anything blow up. But you could maybe call Rem with your guns numbers and ask them it may work out that it will be a simple barrel swap.

No Problem

The ONLY differance between a Remington 1100 3" mag and a Remington 1100 2 3/4" action is the barrel. The 1100 3" has one gas port vs the 2 3/4" needs 2 gas ports.
The ejection window on both actions are the same as are the recoil spring in the but stock.
I have a standard action that I use for all my waterfowl hunting that I use a 3" chamber barrel in thats made by Hastings. Its also one of the straight rifled barrels that keeps the shot cup from spinning and gives it a bit tighter pattern. On ducks out to 40 yds I use #6 heavy shot and on geese I use #2 heavy shot and its a hammer. I normally use the IC choke on it too.

When I am shooting skeet I just take off the synthetic stock and put on the fajun wood and and the 2 3/4" chambered barrel thats also a Hastings barrel and go shoot.
Remington don't like to tell anyone this but the actions are identical between the 2 3/4" and 3" but its just a barrel change is all.
Been shooting the 1100 since I bought my first one in 1970. Keep your gas ports and magazine tube clean and your O ring in good shape and you will never have a problem. Oh and remove any heavy oil from your magazine tube when hunting waterfowl in cold weather as it will gum it up and you will never have a problem with the gun.

Thanks all for the replies.

What I might do is find someone with a 3" barrel and try it. If it ejects it might be my new duck gun for decoys. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,
Colby

I might have a 3" 30 full vent rib off a 1100, dad wasnt sure what gun this barrel came off of so he left it with me. Ill check it when I get home. Over the years he has been known to just end up with shotgun stuff.

Nope 28" 2 3/4 sorry! other barrel must have went home.

Last edited:
NYLES,
My dad is just like that also, maybe we are brothers...:) Thanks anyways, I'm sure if I look around one of my local buddies will have one I can try.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.