Caught the Devil

J.G.W

I'm working 1400km (870 miles) from home at the moment and have the opportunity to fish some different water. Yesterday I caught a stonefish, the deadliest fish in the world. They have spines on their back that inject you with venom when you step on them. Many people have died from these fish. Just another reason to stay out of the water in northern Australia!
E7875246-8063-4588-B842-665BC36A5852.jpeg
F42AFC6A-874E-4515-8DF9-33FA10A508C0.jpeg

I'm working 1400km (870 miles) from home at the moment and have the opportunity to fish some different water. Yesterday I caught a stonefish, the deadliest fish in the world. They have spines on their back that inject you with venom when you step on them. Many people have died from these fish. Just another reason to stay out of the water in northern Australia!
View attachment 112553 View attachment 112554
They aren't quite the deadliest in the world, the lion or scorpion fish depending on where you are and who you're with has a deadlier neurotoxin, however the stone fish is more camo coloured and harder to see, they generally don't go out of their way to hurt you, but as you said hang around in rock pools, and are difficult to spot so people do stand on them from time to time. I would be more fearful of blue ringed octopus, irukandji (a seriously nasty often deadly jelly fish, the most venomous in the world ), crocs and sharks, in the northern Australian waters. I'm pretty sure more people die or are hospitalised from irukandji stings than any other sea critter.
But nice catch, cause it is pretty rare to catch a stone fish.

CRAP! As ugly as it is deadly.

I've heard it can be found in the Philippines too. Swam there a lot but never saw a Stonefish, but then they are camoed so well.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.