Case stuck in die

Bigcat_hunter

I went to resize once fired brass for my 338 ultra and my case got stuck in the die. I put plenty of lube on it and it still got stuck. I have a back up die so I set it up and this time lubed the hell out of a case and this one got stuck too. I have never had this problem before. What could be causing this and is there any way to get the shell out?

What type of lube are you using?

If you are using a spray type lube, Hornady, Dillion, etc. You need to let the carrier liquid evoprate off the case prior to sizing it. Otehr wise it will get stuck. Doesn't make sense I know but if the lube is still in the carrier liquid it will get stuck.

I am curious if the case was harder than normal to size? If so why didn't you stop and lower the ram and check the cases progress?

Yes I was using Hornady one shot lube. I am done using spray lube for sure after this. This was my first sizing of once fired ever for this gun so I did not know if it was harder than normal. I got one case through and it was a little hard so I added extra lube to trhe second. It felt a little hard so I stopped to back off and thats when it stuck. It must be the lube. I just ordered a stuck case remover.

Spray lube is good stuff, I use Dillon. But you must follow the instructions. It says to let it dry. Just for your own purpose. Spray some cases then let them dry for about 5-10 minutes. After they are dry spray another case. Then feel how the just sprayed one feels compared to the one that dried. You will feel the difference.

Now to get the stuck ones out. Do you have any taps? Now this is just to get you out in a pinch but here it goes. If you have a tap that is a bigger OD that the primer pocket ID. First drill the appropriate size hole in the case base. Then tap the hole. Then find a bolt for the threads that is about 2" or so long.

With the die mounted upside down in the press. Place a socket over it. The side that snaps into the socket wrench facing up. The purpose of the socket is to give you a space for the case to move into while you are tightening the bolt. Then you take your bolt with a washer on it through the socket and screw it into the hole you tapped in the case base. Then screw the bolt into the case. As you continue to screw the bolt into the case it will start to pull the case out of the die and into the free space in the socket.

I hope I explained it well. If not let me know. Hope this helps.

I use RCBS case lube, in over 30 years of reloading I have never stuck a case. It also has the advantage of being water soluble and it only takes a very thin film.
James

I've sized hundreds of .300 Ultra cases using the Hornady One Shot. One shot doesn't mean that is what it takes. I spray my cases from all angles and get some in the neck. When the can says wait 60 seconds or so, do it. I suspect if you leave the cases for an extended period of time, the lube dissipates. Never a stuck case here. mtmuley

Reason I mentioned 5-10 minutes is because I use the Dillon spray lube. Not sure what the Hornady lable says. Guess I should have made that part clear, sorry.

Now I have left my cases for over an hour one time. Then sized them. No problems at all.

I did use the RCBS lube and pad in the beginning. Messy and got tired of it. I use Imperial for my 6BR when loading at the range. Does a good job. And cleans up easily. But for volume loading it is a PITA for me to wipe each case prior to sizing. But hey that's just me.

I have used the one shot for about a year with 100's of rounds in my 30-06 with no problem. Thats why this got me a little concerned. Could a hot load make your cases to big for the die and cause problems? I am running 1 grain below max in the book but if I go ant higher it shows pressure signs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.