Votes: 17 25.8%
  • 7 WSM

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • 7 MEGA

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 6.5 MEGA

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
^^^We'll now I'd say any will work and it becomes personal preference.

If you're desire is to shoot factory ammo then I'd say 7 prc.

If your desire is to hand load its a toss up between the saum and prc. Keep in mind that Lapua already makes 6.5 and 300 PRC brass. If they make 7prc then that's the no brainer between the two.

I'm building a big boomer now and have a 20 inch 7 saum running 180s at 2840. I'm actually thinking of getting a 7 PRC built for long range with 180-195s and load some 143HH's in the saum for a short to mid range home rig. It would be flat to 300 and murder on Texas WT and hogs.

I heard Lapua is going to release 7PRC brass. That makes me lean in that direction. Peterson and ADG already have brass. That means the big 3 all make brass.

If not for Lapua brass, I would say 7Mega.

You can make the 7mm PRC really shine with handloading, but the factory ammo is pretty good as well. The 7mm PRC is certainly adequate for elk. Mine shoots 3/4 MOA with the Hornady 175gr ELDX and even better with handloads. Currently playing with a number of different bullets using H4831sc.

I've got a big 30 cal in the works. 30 Nosler throated for 245's. So I don't want a 300wm or 300prc with a 20" barrel for this project.
I only threw "elk capable" in there on a freak chance my 30 Nosler wouldn't be with me.
Since this is mainly going to be a deer gun, go with a .264 cal round. You have the 30 Nosler, so setup a deer gun. Plenty of elk get killed with 26 cal guns also.

I've got a big 30 cal in the works. 30 Nosler throated for 245's. So I don't want a 300wm or 300prc with a 20" barrel for this project.
I only threw "elk capable" in there on a freak chance my 30 Nosler wouldn't be with me.
I didn't see this….a long action kind of defeats the purpose of most of your choices. I guess if you already have a big 30 cal then the answer is a 7PRC. I love the 7saum, but the prc has way more support and that'll just continue to grow!

7 PRC!
factory ammo, better suitable for a 20 inch barrel due to blast and recoil… even with a suppressor, great Brass available right now, if you choose to hand load, Fills a niche just below the 30 caliber, almost any reputable gunsmith /your preferred GS will have a reamer for it , (this was my problem when I went the Sherman route, so I just bought the reamers) better suited for your action than the short PRCs or WSM,