• 7 WSM

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • 7 MEGA

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 6.5 MEGA

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

GetReel

I would like to hear what others would do to try and help me decide what I will do.

Action is a Defiance Classic LA Mag BF (already have)
20" barrel to be shot 100% suppressed (do not have a barrel yet)

I have thought a 7prc would be the easy button as I wouldn't have to reload if I didn't want to or have time to but I'm not making this a decision breaker one way or another.

Deer/elk capable. Doesn't need to be a long range capable rifle. 600-700 yards ish

Please feel free to add input on other options.

Put a 22 inch, Proof Barrel on your Action ( Very little, Velocity Drop ) and they are, accurate.
My son has a 24" Proof barrel, on a Tikka action, and is putting 5, 180 gr. ELD-M's into, the LOW 3's with, THROWN Charges of StaBall HD at, 2,980+ FPS. He has, a PVA Jet Blast 3 Port, Brake to minimize Recoil and barrel Jump.
Scope is, the Zeiss Conquest, V-4, 4.5 x 16X,.. it's CLEAR, Bright and it, Tracks well.
There's Nothing Wrong with, the 7 SAUM either, IF, you can Find ADG Brass and Hand Load !
7 PRC is just, the EZ Button !

Last edited:
Of those I would go 300 wsm or 7 prc personally. My reason is I had a custom 7mm sherman max built and two weeks after I ordered it found out we were expecting our 2nd child. So he is over a year old now but I've only had time to shoot it 50 times to form cases. So it depends on your circumstances and if you have the time to reload. All good choices and Rich is very helpful if you choose to go the sherman route.

You have a long action, why not use it? 300 PRC, 30 Sherman Max or 300 WM comes to mind. Covers almost all of the bullet choices you would have for your list and more down to 168 grain or so and up to 220 or possibly more. The 6.5 Mega on your list would likely be the exception. Lots of good factory ammo for the PRC and the WM also.

You have a long action, why not use it? 300 PRC, 30 Sherman Max or 300 WM comes to mind. Covers almost all of the bullet choices you would have for your list and more down to 168 grain or so and up to 220 or possibly more. The 6.5 Mega on your list would likely be the exception. Lots of good factory ammo for the PRC and the WM also.
Thought process was thinking the cartridges I chose would be better suited for short suppressed barrel

7PRC - Components and factory ammo options will make life easier. Although I would be very happy with the 7SAUM as well if reloading only. Buy a couple hundred quality cases and roll your own.

I was going to say 7 PRC as the easy button until you said elk. The 7 will certainly do the job on elk but I'm a believer in heavies for elk.

I'd go with either the 300 WSM or SAUM. The wsm has a slight capacity edge over the saum otherwise virtually no difference. ADG makes brass for both and I believe norma makes 300 saum brass if you can find it. If Lapua or Alpha made brass for either that would be the deciding factor.

We're it me, I'd go with one of the 30s properly throated and twisted for heavy VLDs.

I would have to go with @RB II here. LA 300PRC all the way. If you had a XM I'd go 300WSM (as I did). If you decide on the WSM get a freebore to support. I think it's .188" for the 215 Berger, but don't quote me on that.

I've got a big 30 cal in the works. 30 Nosler throated for 245's. So I don't want a 300wm or 300prc with a 20" barrel for this project.
I only threw "elk capable" in there on a freak chance my 30 Nosler wouldn't be with me.