Carry pistol for CO elk trip

.gacton

Not sure where to post, so posting it here. I've been wondering if there are any restrictions on a personal defense weapon in Colorado. Going on an elk hunt this fall. I have options for bear defense, but heard somewhere they have a minimum barrel length. I have been unable to verify that on the state's website. Any ideas?

Contact the Game Office for your protection. I made a quick call a few years back and they were very helpful. To cover myself, I called every year I went out there to make sure things didn't change. Had a great interaction with a Game Warden, but I don't like to make their jobs any harder. Call the main office and keep yourself covered.

Not sure where to post, so posting it here. I've been wondering if there are any restrictions on a personal defense weapon in Colorado. Going on an elk hunt this fall. I have options for bear defense, but heard somewhere they have a minimum barrel length. I have been unable to verify that on the state's website. Any ideas?
There is no such thing as a back-up sidearm during hunting season. You may carry a handgun with you during the act of hunting for personal protection but that is the purpose. There is no specific requirement for a legal handgun for personal protection (barrel length or caliber) except that it is in legal possession of the person under Colorado Law.

The use of a handgun to "put an animal down" would only fall into use during a rifle season and then the handgun must be in accordance with a legal method of take and meet the criteria listed in the Big Game Brochure, i.e. At a minimum, it must have a four-inch barrel, fire an expanding bullet of .24 caliber (6 mm) or larger and use a load that produces a minimum 550 ft. pounds of energy at 50 yards. Shoulder stocks or other attachments are prohibited.

(SOURCE: https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/EHU-CH3-L03.aspx#:~:text=You may carry a handgun with you during,legal possession of the person under Colorado Law.)

ADDED: @CO_Guy and others might help and clarify the "actual" rules and regulations.

Last edited:
Do not see any restrictions on barrel length since it is conceal carry and not for hunting.
LINK: CO RECIPROCAL CARRY

Key legal point to understand is your permit MUST be issued by your state of RESIDENCE.

Like @FEENIX stated if you desire to use it hunting, you must comply with firearm requirements for hunting in addition to CO concealed carry reciprocal laws.

Personal defense against animals may be construed as hunting since that was your intent to carry.

I also always suggest contacting a Wildlife Officer when in doubt. But I have archery hunted in CO many times (and will be this year). I always use a chest rig. Had multiple encounters with officers and not one has ever batted an eye.

This will not be used as a "back up" gun. I don't trust bear spray. Thanks for the insight. I'll give them a call as we get closer to traveling.

You will be better off with bear spray than a pistol. But if you want to carry make it's light weight and quickly accessible. If you can't get it out in about 2 seconds your just carrying around weight for no reason. Your rifle works good if a bad bear encounter should happen, and likely be readily accessible no need to carry a pistol too but to each his own.

Not a problem. I have an enhanced concealed carry permit.
So what are you planning on carrying? I transitioned from .44 Mag to 10MM (Glock 40 MOS) a couple of years ago. I carry both bear spray and a sidearm when hunting in bear country. When hiking/camping, I also have my Karelian Bear Dog with me. 😇

You will be better off with bear spray than a pistol. But if you want to carry make it's light weight and quickly accessible. If you can't get it out in about 2 seconds your just carrying around weight for no reason. Your rifle works good if a bad bear encounter should happen, and likely be readily accessible no need to carry a pistol too but to each his own.
"I" would rather have them on me and not need it than the other way around. You are right, and this boils down to a personal choice/preference. All of these only works if you can get to it on time.

So what are you planning on carrying? I transitioned from .44 Mag to 10MM (Glock 40 MOS) a couple of years ago. I carry both bear spray and a sidearm when hunting in bear country. When hiking/camping, I also have my Karelian Bear Dog with me. 😇
I also went from a 44 mag to a G20 10mm. Mainly because I'm simply more accurate with it. At least in CO you don't have to worry about grizzlies, although I don't want to tangle with a black bear either.