• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Carolina Precision 257 Weatherby Short throat.

sbruni

Extremely accurate .257 Weatherby "short throat" custom rifle. Weatherby Mark V action, fluted Scheider barrel, McMillan stock, custom trigger, Talley bases, muzzlebreak, cerakote. Built by John Lewis, former head smith for Kenny Jarrett. John has a reputation for doing great work but being extremely slow. Save yourself the trouble and cost of a new build. This is not the standard Weatherby chambering. It has reduced free bore to allow seating closer to lands and enhance accuracy. It's new owner should be a handloader. A gunsmith could add the freebore but I just hate to because it is so accurate. $1875 + shipping to your FFL.

Attachments

• CP5.JPG
    CP5.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 14
  • CP4.JPG
    CP4.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 11
A few questions. Need the details. Looks pretty nice.

Barrel length?
Barrel twist?
Barrel contour?
Barrel and action color?
Pillar and/or glass bedded?
Times fired?

Thanks

Last edited:
Weight 8lbs 13 oz
Brl Length 26" (27.5" w/ muzzlebreak)
Twist 1:10
Barrel and action is coated (Matt Black CeraKote I believe)
Pillar and glass bedded
hunted just a few seasons so round count with load dev is probably around 100
Not sure the contour. drops to .930 at about 4" in front of action then straight taper to .690 at muzzle

I'm unclear on the neck dimensions. Is the throat so short factory ammunition can't be fired in it, short enough factory ammunition may not be accurate, or one where factory ammunition will work although free-bore is less than on factory rifles? Is it simply a case where chamber pressures may be slightly higher than in a factory rifle?

Factory rounds are tested with the factory chambers which have considerable freebore to keep pressures down with faster burning powders. When Wthby was developing the chamberings slow burning powders were not as plentiful as I understand. The significant freebore allows for more powder and speed with less pressure spike. The negative is that it is that much harder to get great accuracy with most bullets, Barnes TSX being the exception. I have many custom rifles for which I reload and only one performs well with a big jump to the lands. It just loves Barnes bullets. Most bullets tend to deliver better accuracy seated close to, touching or into the lands.

Chamber pressures in a short throated rifle would be higher with 257 wthby factory ammo. As to whether it is slightly or significantly higher that would depend on the load. Given that with factory ammo you have no info on the powder and you cannot really start with a low charge and work up to confirm that it is safe it is not advised to to try factory.

A great rifle......................I had to laugh when I read your add. I had CPR build me a .243 AI I sent them the action and stock..........I got it back one year later. I think they need to mention that on their web site. I ordered a Pac Nor SM Bl. I guess CPR works with Jarrett. They wait until they have several Pac Nor bl's to order so they get the multible bl discount. They kept telling me that the barrel had not come in yet, so I contacted Pac Nor and they told me that they had no outstanding orders for CPR.........I confronted John and he then apologized and told me what he does...............he needs to get his act together before word gets out.............

G

Did you ever crono your 257 load? What bullet did you use? I've shot the 257 in the past in the Weatherby Mk ......... It was a great long range Antelope and Mule deer set up.
I live in Nevada, and with the exceptions of a few area's most of out hunting is in sagebursh canyons and rimrock country. We do have a few high elevation places up around 10,000 +
I shoot a .243 AI but realize that im kind of limited to about 400...........

G

Recent Posts