Carbon vs. fiberglass Stock opinions?

tribb

Your thoughts/ experience about the 6 to 8 oz. Weight savings and cost difference between the 2 materials . Thanks for your help . I'll be posting another thread about different brands of carbon/ fiberglass stocks. Tribb

I have only limited experience with CF stocks, but I'm now hooked on the look, feel, strength, and weight savings. They are expensive, but a good fitting stock can make or break my opinion of the rifle. I'm in the market for a new CF stock more suited for prone or bench shooting. I've been looking hard at the Manners Pro Hunter.

The CF stock will be lighter, and, if constructed properly, stiffer than the same stock design in fiberglass. As a result, the recoil will be more significant in the CF stock - a. because it's stiffer - and b. because it's lighter.

Your thoughts/ experience about the 6 to 8 oz. Weight savings and cost difference between the 2 materials . Thanks for your help . I'll be posting another thread about different brands of carbon/ fiberglass stocks. Tribb
No experience yet with either. Also thinking about this subject, look forward to hearing insights. Definitely leaning toward fiberglass.

I have only limited experience with CF stocks, but I'm now hooked on the look, feel, strength, and weight savings. They are expensive, but a good fitting stock can make or break my opinion of the rifle. I'm in the market for a new CF stock more suited for prone or bench shooting. I've been looking hard at the M

I have only limited experience with CF stocks, but I'm now hooked on the look, feel, strength, and weight savings. They are expensive, but a good fitting stock can make or break my opinion of the rifle. I'm in the market for a new CF stock more suited for prone or bench shooting. I've been looking hard at the Manners Pro Hunter.
10/4

The CF stock will be lighter, and, if constructed properly, stiffer than the same stock design in fiberglass. As a result, the recoil will be more significant in the CF stock - a. because it's stiffer - and b. because it's lighter.
Good information thanks

Think there was a lively debate some months ago, but my Google fu is weak and I cannot seem to find it.

Weight is the obvious.

From a fiber standpoint the carbon should be stiffer for a given thickness. Due to the fiber as well as the resin used, guessing most are epoxy and carbon whereas many of the old mcmillan mcswirlies were gelcoated poly in a hand laid two piece mold. I'd be curios if folks like ag composites who are using the same basic tech for both are using the same resin for each fiber or is it entirely different formulation. Could also be proprietary, although in the evolution of composites, gun stocks are somewhere between caveman and sloth from the goonies. Heck it's been bike tech trickle down that has helped spawn the bloom in carbon stocks.

I've begun to dabble in the boat composites world the last 5 years or so, so am one rung below in the ape category of composites evolution. There are a few guys on here could maybe give much better specifics. I watch cool videos of cavity mold carbon mfgs using prepreg and uv cure.... way ahead of my knowledge or capacity.

My personal belief is up to win mag recoil I'm carbon, frp for my big boomers. Seems like they transmit shock less severely than the ultra rigid carbon.

On the unrelated note, carbon and epoxy has an awesome intangible. In the extreme cold it's insular properties are very noticeable. Probably less of an issue if you hunt on the sunny side of 0.