Carbon barrel long range

steviebby

About to order a bartlien carbon barrel for a 338edge build, long range backpack rifle , heard some stories good and bad but a lot is a long time ago it's now 2024 , sendaro profile
What you think? Am I asking for trouble or will I be fine

@Rum Man

I have a 300 RUM and a 338 Lapua CF. Both shoot well, but I have to shoot them slow as they heat up and although quoted as increasing heat transfer, I have found it is more like putting a sleeping bag over it. Mirage alone coming off it, makes the cross hairs dance pretty good.

Cold bore/follow ups are always on the money, however after that, I must let it sit for a few minutes before shooting again. As a hunter, I think they are good. The weight reduction is not as significant, but they are sexy...

How you describe is my take also thanks mate , going carbon will save me 2 pound and a lot of that is forward weight so it will feel like more , I have another rifle in carbon and love it , they look awesome!

I use mostly carbon barrels in my shop. The amount that won't shoot 1/2moa is probably 2%. Most will shoot better.

They make a lot of sense if you hunt with a suppressor. They give you plenty of diameter at the muzzle for either 5/8 or 3/4" threads, and like mentioned earlier, they change the balance point which is better with a suppressor.

All my personal rifles wear proof carbon barrels.

The only difference I noticed between my steel and carbon barrels on the bigger magnums, is I can shoot a 5 shot string no problem without POI shift with the steel barrels. I didn't feel that way with the carbon barrels. But with proper cooling, I felt both style barrels shot great.

A bartlien CF is going on my next rifle. For me it's worth waiting vs grabbing another in stock proof. Plus I can get the twist exactly how I want it.

On a lighter rig CF barrel is an easy way to manage the balance point towards the front of the mag well or even a touch further back. Do not like a light butt stock. Makes it too twitchy settling in. For me it's more about balance then trying to shave every last ounce. 8-9lb ready to hunt is my sweet spot. Trying out the MDT HNT26 chassis on this one with a Vesper.

a smith I know got curious one day and had a old bartlein carbon floating around from a warranty job so he cut the carbon fiber off just to see how they were made from the inside out. Now this was about 2-3 years ago now but at the time when he cut that sucker open it was a bartlein #2-#2b wrapped in carbon fiber. So just take that into consideration. If counting ounces for backpacking is your thing your probably better off going steel but there is no denying carbon bbl do look sexy

About to order a bartlien carbon barrel for a 338edge build, long range backpack rifle , heard some stories good and bad but a lot is a long time ago it's now 2024 , sendaro profile
What you think? Am I asking for trouble or will I be fine
My last rebarrel on my 338 I went with a Bartlein carbon barrel, and I'm very happy with it.

I built this fast twist tikka 270wsm with a bartlien and love it , just time to step up now to a bigger hitter

Attachments

• IMG_6150.jpeg
    IMG_6150.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 69
I had custom built with a Bartlien CF in 300prc, It definitely gets hot after 3-4 shots of 245lrht with N-570 but it shoots really good, 1/2"-3/4". Just as others have said, it's not much lighter than going fluted stainless but it's sexy… My smith actually weighed the old Bart stainless vs the new carbon and it was 5-6oz difference both in 26" .

Attachments

• IMG_9667.jpeg
    IMG_9667.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8795.jpeg
    IMG_8795.jpeg
    505.8 KB · Views: 55
a smith I know got curious one day and had a old bartlein carbon floating around from a warranty job so he cut the carbon fiber off just to see how they were made from the inside out. Now this was about 2-3 years ago now but at the time when he cut that sucker open it was a bartlein #2-#2b wrapped in carbon fiber. So just take that into consideration. If counting ounces for backpacking is your thing your probably better off going steel but there is no denying carbon bbl do look sexy
Also a lot stiffer than a bare #2 in a .338 Edge.

Fluting was the other option but I'm happy to give another carbon a go for a hunting rig that will never fire more than 3 shots in succession

I keep going back-n-forth between bartlein CF vs Rem Sendro deep flute. With the various CNC there are so many flute design options (long way from the generic straight flutes on a mill of the 80s & 90s) you can just about equal a CF in weight but with better cooling and no worries about long term durability. But CF sure do have a great look.