Can Someone Please Explain The Attraction Of Hunting Fenced Animals?

Turkeytider

Just wondering the appeal of hunting an animal that, in the final analysis, and if you`re persistent enough, can`t escape. Or at least it seems that way to me. Then again, in the interest of honesty, I`ve never done it. Closest thing to that I`ve done is " hunting" put, pen raised quail. Did it only once. Felt like shooting chickens. One guy actually beat one to death with his cap!

deer-eats-popcorn_keep going.gif

It depends on the acreage and the height of the fence. As mentioned, a 2500 acre property is vastly different than a 50 acre property. In Africa, there are 150K acre fenced properties. Some people want the hunt, some want the kill, while others just want the trophy. Do what you want. I want the hunt and the meat!

There is a Club in New Hampshire that is over 24,000 acres it is completely fenced in. I would not concider it shooting fish in a barrel.
Anytime a high fenced area is larger than the games normal range of travel how would that be any differant than with no fence?
I don't have the money to afford such hunts so it dosen't apply to me, to each there own, bait, dogs, long range shooting, high fence, I won't knock anyones method as long as it is legal where you hunt.

I hunt whitetails on a 5,000 acre tract of (un-fenced) land. They seem to easily avoid detection. 🤣 If there was a fence around the place it wouldn't be much different. Just a thought.

I have hunted hogs in high fence areas that were a few miles square. Getting one eventually is kind of a given, but they aren't "trophies", they are just good eating. It's not free-range hunting but it's fun and my wife loves the wild pork as much as I do.

There aren't a whole lot of public land opportunities in Texas and a private lease has become very expensive. I think those are factors in game ranch hunting popularity here. Also, you can get ag exemptions here in Texas for a game ranch. More money there for the landowner than cattle, etc. It isn't my bag, but I understand why it happens.

Come on, haven't you secretly thought about shooting one of those animals at the zoo? I want a giraffe skin couch and matching recliner. In my current condition, I can't handle a lot of recoil; you think a 6ARC would put down at giraffe at zoo pen distances?
Nope.

I have never hunted fenced game. There is no appeal there for me. I know what a "big" Whitetail, Mule Deer and Elk are in the wild. What turns my stomach are all the genetically modified/refined leviathan Deer and Elk that are bred and raised for unnatural antler development and then "hunted" behind high fences. The breeding/raising and maintenance of these pen animals dictates that the "wildness" is also bred out of them. No thanks from me.