Caliber selection

Refer to last two posts. Nomosendero has it right. Get a factory 338 ultra mag, learn it well, buy all the loading stuff for it and your done. Forget all the other stuff, your good forever with one purchase. I woulld take a straight 338 ultra and hunt everything in North America and most of Africa where it was legal and be perfectly content. If you want to stay in the inexpensive range then get the Savage in 338 win mag and again your good. If you ever wanted the edge then you have an action for it. You just got to make the call which way you want to go.

I'm in the same boat as you straightshooter, except I can't legally buy a gun yet...it's coming though. Savages have shot well for me, in fact this weekend my 10 year old cousin was shooting metal silhouettes from 350-450 yards. With a stock Savage 110 in 7mm RM I can shoot a silhouette in the head at 350, and at 400 I hit a bowling pin most of the time. I can't wait to try their new Target Action.

Thanks again for all the advice. I am now looking at rifles in the suggested calibers. I can't seem to find anything in a heavy barreled rifle action any larger than a 300 wm. Does anyone know of a production rifle made in the target/varmint style in a 338 wm or a 300 ultra? My plan is to start with a good quality production rifle and build up on it a little at a time. I am trying to avoid long periods of down time waiting for the rifle to come back from the smiths.

I would suggest the following cartridges: 338 Ultramag, 300 Ultramag, 338 Lapua, 338 Edge.

You may also be OK with the following: 300 Weatherby, 300 WSM, 300 Win, 338 Win, 7mm RUM, 30-378, 338-378, or 7STW

I would suggest one of the following actions: Remington 700 (the 700P or Sendero should both be available in 300 RUM), Savage 110 or 12, Sako TRGs-M995 (338 LM or 30-378), Tikka M695 if you can find one or a T3.

The 338 RUM in a Remington 700 seems to be the most practical route, as you would be 'ready-to-go' from the start. You could go with the Remington 700 and start building from there.

I went the Sako TRGs/338 Lapua route because I found a decent deal on a TRGs in that caliber. Once I got over the cost of purchasing the brass, there really wasn't much of a difference in the actual shooting cost over any of the other comparible calibers, and I'm still on my first 50-pieces of Lapua brass 2 years and hundreds of rounds later.

The trigger in the Sako was nearly perfect so no changes were necessary there. I hunted with the rifle 'as-is' the first year. Then added a new stock (McMillan A-5 adjustable ~$700) between hunting seasons for the next year. Then had GA Precison pillar bed, skim bed, and add an aftermarket recoil lug to the stock for the next year (again between hunting seasons, ~$400), as well as lapping the factory barrel with Tubbs FF bullets (that was definately money well spent, ~$30). Before next season I plan to rebarrel and add a muzzle brake.

During the years of building, I have taken 2 nice mule deer bucks (one at 120 yards and the other at 505 yards), One elk at 400 yards, and a nice antelope buck at ~480 yards.

The estimated cost per shot is ~ $0.40 - $0.50 per bullet, $0.20 - $0.25 in powder, $0.03 primer, and $0.15 for brass so far (~10 reloadings). I also have some 200 gr Hornady bullets that I picked up for less that $0.20 each that I practice/play around with.

Good Luck...

Rymart, you sure got my heart rate racing. Sounds like you have gone the route I am trying for. From what I picked up so far, I think I want to end up with a 338 edge. I just don't think I should start there, I want to have something more economical to shoot. I need a lot of practice.

You could have the 388 Edge with a cheap take off barrel for practice. Switchbarrel.com has some real cheap barrels. Something that doesn't burn barrels, 223, 308, etc. Put it on when hunting is not going on to practice with.

OK guys, going to buy a rifle tomorrow. All I know is that I will be buying a Savage. I like the fact that you can change out the barrel, and bolt head. The fact that they are accurate right out of the box doesn't hurt either. Still not sure on the caliber. Last chance to help me make the right decision. I need the best caliber for practice, something that won't brake the bank to shoot, but I can still use hunting.

I am in the same exact boat Im leaning twards the savage 116fhsak weather warrior in 338win mag. They are supposed to be accurate out of the box it comes with a brake and has a accutrigger that can be turned down to 2 lbs or so. Later on I will send it out to have the work done to turn it into a 338 edge. From the things Ive seen its not a hot load either so your not going to burn up barrels . I AM IN NO WAY CLAIMING I HAVE A CLUE but thats what my current thoughts are. Good luck

So far I'm kind of leaning towards the 300 wsm. I like the thought of a short action. Factory rifle actions don't seem to be as well made and beefed up as a custom job. I am thinking the short action will lend to a stiffer receiver, and in turn hopefully a bit more accurate. This is definitely not a final decision. I am also leaning towards a 7mm remington mag, or the 338 winchester mag (the 338 mag is gaining quite quickly on the 300 wsm). I also like the 308 idea, it is just so darn cheap and efficient.

All done, Savage 11 in a 300 wsm, laminated thumbhole stock. All I have to do now is sell my Ruger hawkeye SS synthetic 308 to purchase my scope, and work up a load. Remember this is just my practice rifle. I can punch paper to 1000 yards and still take it elk hunting. Thanks again for all the great advice. From what I have learned here, I know one day I will own a 338 edge. Probably in a custom action, but till then I will be found in the desert learning every and anything I can about wind, and mirage effect, working on my hand loads, developing a drop chart and learning how to click everything in.

All done, Savage 11 in a 300 wsm, laminated thumbhole stock.

Congratulations. The internet is a wonderful tool for learning things but in the end it is your money and it is you that must be happy.

Do not hesitate to take a half round rasp to the thumbhole and shape it so it fits your hand just right and your trigger finger automatically winds up on the right place on the trigger. I have an A-5 Mac and it is a constant fight to keep my hand up high enough that my trigger finger is correctly positioned on the trigger. On my Joel Russo Thumbhole I spent hours shaping and sanding it to where it was just perfect and I really love that stock because of the way it feels in my hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts