Caliber combination for prairie dog hunting?

This year will be a 20 Practical in a manual AR shooting 39BK@3850, 22-250ai shooting 53v-max@4000 & 22 Creed shooting the 62VT @3800.
The 20P is a new project. The 62VT is replacing 75 ELDs @3500 that weren't as dramatic on target as the 53's. Hopefully the 62's are.
Leaving the 17HMR at home this year. Hadn't used it the previous 2 years.

In many ways the PDs are like hogs for us in Tx, just another target. They both are not very beneficial to the land and a lot of people want to erradicate them. Me, I just shoot them with a 223 or with a 300 PRC, but just shoot!!!!! I can certainly understand the fun in shooting a few rounds from a big magnum at a few dogs. Not driving 1000 miles from Tx though. Gotta take a lot of different rifles and shoot at a lot of dogs for several days!!!! And maybe sip a little whiskey at the end of a great day.........shooting!!!!
Sir.. Prairie Dogs most definitely are NOT like hogs. Wild Hogs are an invasive species that serve absolutely no benefit to man or the land. They are much worse than Starlings.
Prairie Dogs are the BUILDERS of the prairie. Virtually every native animal on the prairie lives in holes DUG by Prairie Dogs. This even includes the birds. No trees on the prairie.

Sir.. Prairie Dogs most definitely are NOT like hogs. Wild Hogs are an invasive species that serve absolutely no benefit to man or the land. They are much worse than Starlings.
Prairie Dogs are the BUILDERS of the prairie. Virtually every native animal on the prairie lives in holes DUG by Prairie Dogs. This even includes the birds. No trees on the prairie.
My apologies. I am by no means a prairie dog expert but assumed that since many many acres of prairie dog towns are poisoned each year that they were not beneficial. Never heard them classified as the " builders" of the prairies.
Hogs may not be native but they are far from invasive by the common definition. They are actually feral from the very same animals that we have been getting our bacon from for hundreds of years.

They are builders RB. Might l suggest you study up on them. Truly amazing creatures. A trip to Ft Hood during Desert Storm in 1990 lntroduced me to them. l have returned many times to shoot and admire them.

Last edited:
They are builders RB. Might l suggest you study up on them. Truly amazing creatures. A trip to Ft Hood during Desert Storm in 1990 lntroduced me to them. l have returned many times to shoot and admire them.
We are going to SD to shoot next week. But won't be on the biggest town in that area. Talked to the outfitter today. Landowner poisoned it. Apparently they aren't considered builders by everyone.