Ca approved bullets?

Cutting Edge has worked great for me. Next pick would be Hammer. Not Barnes, they poke a hole and little more unless you take out the shoulder

None of the lead-free pills are as affordable as we'd like them to be, but I recommend the Barnes TIPPED Triple shocks. Had some questionable results with the non-tipped versions failing to expand on both deer and elk, but if you have both you can generally use the non-tipped for load development and then all you have to tweak is COAL when you switch to the tipped for a hunting load. Guess it would be wrong to guarantee that this will work all the time, but it's turned out okay for me in several different calibers/rifles. Performance on game seems to be better with the tipped versions, anyway.

As for Hornady GMX - have not put them on deer or elk just yet, but I can say that from my experience the accuracy seems quite sensitive to COAL/bullet jump, maybe a bit more than some of the other lead-free options. (Just as finicky as the Nosler Accubond Long Range line!) This seemed to be the case in several different cartridges, but loading them to the manufacturer's generic recommended COAL did seem to keep it within realistic expectations. As with the Barnes, the big question is whether their BC's truly make them a valid choice for "long range" shooting. LR accuracy is 'okay' but I wouldn't go much further than that.

No experience with Nosler E-tips - anyone care to fill me in?
With the current political climate smart money says we'll be dealing with no-lead regs in a lot more places very soon. Just one more trick the antis have sold to the public.

Not that my opinion really amounts to much - once you get stuck with the non-sensical choice of lead-free or stay home, it's all about doing whatever you can and accepting the limitations. (I wonder - do California drug dealers get a stiffer sentence if they are caught using lead-core bullets?)

The Barnes bullets have always worked very well for me. I've read where people talk about small exit wounds, but it is what happens inbetween that matters. About 10 years ago I watched a slowmo video of a Barnes bullet hitting a deer in the vitals, and you could actually see the chest expand (from the hydraulic action?) as if it took a deep breath. Quick kill. So I decided to try them for a season. Sure enough, two Antelope and an Elk later, I was hooked and haven't used anything since. In ten years I have only recovered one bullet. And yes, small exit wounds. But when you open up an animal on a good vitals shot, the internal organs are usually liquified and just pour out. Hardly any meat damage. I don't mean to sound like a Barnes salesman, in fact, after reading about the Hammers, I would like to try those too. But I have developed loads for three calibers using five different Barnes bullets and will probably stick with them for a while.

Have used both the 130gr. Barnes tipped tsx and 130gr. Hornady gmx. in .270win. Both blacktails broadside lung shot, taken at 212 and 425yds. Burning H4831SC, near max charge in a stainless 1990's 24 " M70, chronograph@3292 muzzle, pulverized both lungs in each, shrapnelled a rib going in and exited of course, one took 3 strides, the other dropped.
In. 308win. 22in. Ruger American used the 165 Barnes ttsx and Hornady 165 and 150 gmx, on 1 California Blacktail, 1Montana Whitetail and 1 Wyoming Pronghorn, On the Blacktail. 165 barnes ttxs double lung went 40ft. Before dropping, Montana Whitetail 165gmx double lung shot at 15ft. Broadside sprinted 200yds and dropped, Antelope walking quartering away at 323yds, 150gmx dropped on impact double lung and just under the spine, so the results can very, my favorite shot placement back when using lead cup n core and now with the copper is just below the spline tops of both lungs, It jerks the legs out from underneath them as if they were hammered from the sky.

Last edited:
Barnes lrx. Very easy to get a good load I load them in a 300 rum 300 win mag 7mag 6.5-300 wby mag 264 win mag and 25-06. They work very well I've shot deer from 30 yds to 700yds. Never had problem

I just started using Barnes recently, not because I'm in California but because I found they were giving me good accuracy. I'm happy with them, but don't have any experience hunting with them.

That said, I don't trust CA politicians. They've moved the goal posts before, and I fully expect they will find another way to hinder or completely stop reloading in the future. Simultaneously, they will tax ammunition and reloading supplies out of existence.

Their interest is not honestly in protecting CA condors or others in the food chain, it is in making it impossible for residents to shoot anything at all, and eventually make it pointless to own firearms.

This same approach is being tried on a national basis, but the proponents of this effort are years behind CA.

If you want to shoot, and to reload, you will not find a welcome in CA.
EXACTLY and why I moved to Idaho! California is NOTHING but a cess pool of inept mouth breathing liberals!!!

Have had really good accuracy with the PVA cayugas. Have yet to put something down with them but the reports I have seen have been Very promising.

Barnes all the way. They shoot great. Can be hard to find at times but perform great!! Fallow the Barnes reloading information and start with the powder they suggest as the most accurate powder. It's been pretty much right on every time I work up a load. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.