Buy 270 brass for 25-06

Idgunner

It is impossible to find new 25-06 brass so I started to experiment with 30-06 and 270 brass. 30-06 is the parent cartridge for both cases. Using my 25-06 bushing die I was able to neck both sizes down to 25 cal with no problem. The issue is that after sizing the necks are too long for the 25-06 chamber so all that I need to do is to trim them back to SAAMI length. I found that if I adjust the neck bushing down almost as far as it will go and still have it loose the necks are sized down almost to the neck shoulder junction with no 'donut' visible.
They produce extremely accurate ammo using Berger 115g VLDs.
I'm posting this because I've read several posts on here about the need to turn the necks to get them to fit because the brass will be too thick. I've not had that issue. I buy Starline 270 brass and it works perfectly.

It is impossible to find new 25-06 brass so I started to experiment with 30-06 and 270 brass. 30-06 is the parent cartridge for both cases. Using my 25-06 bushing die I was able to neck both sizes down to 25 cal with no problem. The issue is that after sizing the necks are too long for the 25-06 chamber so all that I need to do is to trim them back to SAAMI length. I found that if I adjust the neck bushing down almost as far as it will go and still have it loose the necks are sized down almost to the neck shoulder junction with no 'donut' visible.
I'm posting this because I've read several posts on here about the need to turn the necks to get them to fit because the brass will be too thick. I've not had that issue. I buy Starline 270 brass and it works perfectly.
I ran into the same issue little over a year ago. There was no 25-06 brass in the country so I did the same with sig Sauer 30-06 brass. By the way sig Sauer brass is really nice stuff as far as not having any cosmetic issues. My problem I found was is that I was being proactive and annealed first. Ran through my standard 25-06 full length rcbs resizer and folded a neck shoulder junction like an accordion. I actually ran the neck in a 7mm die for my first step then the 25-06 die then trimmed and worked perfectly. As has been stated now there are multi flavors of 25-06 brass.

Doughnuts WILL form in the necked down brass. Learn to deal with this issue, how to detect doughnuts and how to remove them.

Detection: on a fired case, push a bullet down inside the case past the shoulder neck junction. The bullet will stop solid on a doughnut.

Fix: K&M makes a fantastic carbide mandrel with a cutter on it

If the rifle is throated out where the shank of the bullet does not go past the shoulder/neck junction, you will never worry about a doughnut, but this is not always practical.

The very toughest brass that handles upper end pressures with ease is made by three sources:

RWS-
Lapua 30/06
30/06 Military Match brass, and I hope you can find this brass unfired, it should be cherished

Winchester blue bag brass is darn good brass!

If the necks are too thick after necking down, there is a solution that can deter doughnuts, and this is to turn the necks at the parent case dia. I neck turn the '06 brass at 30 caliber, then neck down.

Here is what https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/673 is showing available now.

1729943342786.png

I'm a total 2506 supporter fanatic for the last 40 years…
I have preferred necked down 270 brass over correct headstamped stuff…easy to acquire…which is good because 2506 has proven to be its most accurate near the max end of the load spectrum and this can be hard on brass…being an overbore cartridge it's not the best choice for extended shooting sessions.
270Win lost it's sexy long ago but it is common so brass can be less expensive and often discounted because it sat on the shelf longer than the latest greatest being touted .

Recent Posts