Bullets for 7 SAUM?

wdfwguy

I'm putting together a 26" 7 SAUM rifle, primarily for 1000+ target and steel shooting. No hunting at the moment.

I've managed to pick up RL26 and ADG brass. And I see some Berger 180 hybrids available at the moment. But would the boost in BC be worth trying the 190gr Hybrids or ATIPs?

180 hybrid is a solid/safe choice. If you're using a long action or don't mind single loading, there can be some gain with the 190 class bullets. 180 eldm also has a pretty big BC advantage over the 180 hybrid. I have had good luck with them until shooting in Florida during the summer. Started getting blow-ups.

Yeah, I'll be using a SA gun, so I assumed I'd be single loading the longer rounds.

The 190gr Hybrids seem to have a crazy high BC, but they don't seem to be very popular for some reason.

Do you have proof of this statement or is this purely conjecture and opinion?

Thanks!

:)

Actually I do.....after shooting out 39 284Shehane barrels over the course of several years along with being the Captian and shooter on the most winning Fclass team the past couple of years.......that has tried everything to gain a competitive edge. My information is drawn from not only my experience but many other's that shoot competitivly at a very high level in Fopen. I'll stand by my statement.

Actually I do.....after shooting out 39 284Shehane barrels over the course of several years along with being the Captian and shooter on the most winning Fclass team the past couple of years.......that has tried everything to gain a competitive edge. My information is drawn from not only my experience but many other's that shoot competitivly at a very high level in Fopen. I'll stand by my statement.
What an awesome statement to make. Glad to see someone with that experience with 7mm bullets. I also agree that the 180 Hybrids shoot the best. The 180 VLD is also a VERY accurate bullet. Not as forgiving. But small groups are very achievable. I have burned through 5 7 Saum barrels and go to the 180 Hybrid every time.

If it'll feed them and you can find them I would look at the 197 grain Matchkings. I know a couple guy's running them in 7SAUMs with good results

I'm putting together a 26" 7 SAUM rifle, primarily for 1000+ target and steel shooting. No hunting at the moment.

I've managed to pick up RL26 and ADG brass. And I see some Berger 180 hybrids available at the moment. But would the boost in BC be worth trying the 190gr Hybrids or ATIPs?
The short answer is yes. You will never know unless you try. But that's just me.

Be aware of the twist rate in your barrel. Those 180+ bullets prefer a twist @ 1:8. If you're running slower twist rate, try the 160 range bullets. One of my SAUM's loves the 168 Sierra Tipped Matchkings,. It runs a 26 inch barrel with a 1:8.5 twist off the end of a short action at about 2875 fps.