Bullet speeds.

The Barnes manual usualy shows slower speeds than others do. How ever my 300 Wby shot the 180 TTSX at 3240fps out of a 24 inch barrel. Needless to say I was very impressed.

I guess I was not to clear in my post. What I wanted to know is are some bullets always faster. With bullet weight,caliber and charge weight being equal. The part about theElDX was just useless information. How ever I thought that the speed of a fast bullet in one rifle may be slower then a slower bullet in a different rifle.
I'm not clear about one part of your question: What do you mean by "faster"? Muzzle velocity? Or retained bullet velocity downrange, for example 200 yards? The retained downrange velocity is measured by the ballistic coefficient, and that, to me, is more important than "faster" at the muzzle, which can always be adjusted by the charge.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.