Bullet Not Feeding Properly

100% a mag issue. Fix or replace the mag and ensure the bullet tip is angled up towards the feed ramp and it should feed the cartridge without issue. I generally tweak mags a little to ensure this is happening.

You can see the one Sid feed lip has been bent up a tiny bit, you can always "tune" metal mags with the correct tools. The one feed lip needs to be slightly bent down so it contacts better. There are a few videos out there on how to do this.

You can see the one Sid feed lip has been bent up a tiny bit, you can always "tune" metal mags with the correct tools. The one feed lip needs to be slightly bent down so it contacts better. There are a few videos out there on how to do this.

The Hawkins aluminum mags have thick feed lips and I have not tried to tune them for fear of breaking them. Not saying it won't work, just that I have not attempted it with the Hawkins aluminum mags. But this is a great trick with Accurate/AI type steel mags. Works well with certain cartridges.

I am dealing with this and a polymer MDT mag as well. Push on the bottom of the mag and it will feed the last one.
300 WM. If I load three in the box of standard 3.34" length, they feed fine. When I try to load longer Bergers at 3.6+ the last one hangs up because of length.

How long are your cartrigdes?

Gunsmith here, you need to play with your follower and spring. Once it's in the correct position you need to stake it with a punch and hammer. If you use glue it could pop off at the most in-opportune time. Just fyi, fit and finish on a custom rifle can take an entire day to get right on one of my builds. It's not always as straight forward as it seems. Good luck.

Gunsmith here too. You shouldn't fool with the feed lips on Hawkins mags. They recommend disassembling the magazine and adjusting the follower spring. I don't believe there is the option to stake the spring on their mags. As Runin LB said, this can take a bit of time. You may also find that fixing the problem with the last round may creat a problem with other rounds in the stack. It's a bit of a balancing act. Once you get it right, cycle a lot of rounds through the gun both fast and slow. Good luck!

Last edited:
This is a simple fix and we have since zero'd in on this issue. We had a batch of new springs that were overly compressed from our vendor and not creating enough spring pressure. We have since fixed this, but a batch of mags did go out with light spring pressure.

Open up the magazine and just stretch that spring out and you'll be all set. This is particularly effecting 7PRCs in long actions.

Here's how to open up the magazines:

Apologies for any inconvenience. Reach out to us directly with any questions.

Recent Posts