Bullet Choice for 223

2ikuuxe.jpg

Black Hills 52 gr MHP
New Remington 700 LTR, 40x trigger, Swarovski Z3 3-10x42.

Hope it works! May try some 60 gr V Max, as this is the only ammo I have shot in this rifle.

I have killed 20-25 coyotes with a 50zmax (vmax) and it flat out dumps them. 223 velocities from 3300 in my ar to 3600 in my bolt gun with viht n133. shoulder or behind the shoulder. DRT. I've only had 1 run and he made it 40 yards.

I've had great results from Hornady 75gr BTHP. They are usually easy to find and usually on the less expensive side for premium bullets. They are what Hornady uses in their TAP ammo. They have good terminal ballistics at 2100fps+. And I believe due to there bearing surface they stabalize well in a 1x9 twist also. However a more knowledgeable member may confirm or correct that. But that has been my experience.

With a 1:9 I think a 50-60gr bullet will give the best balance of fur friendliness : killing power : velocity : trajectory. Vmax, power points - I really haven't seen much difference.

Nosler 60gr BT's shoot really well for me (tikka 1:8) right around 3000fps. This combo has been astonishing - few runners and no exit wounds the last few seasons - provided impacts aren't around the fringes. Used on a few dozen dogs, out to about 350yd.

I have pretty much stuck with 'varmint' type bullets - I shoot mainly on private land, can't risk ricochets, and can't chase/shoot wounded dogs on certain properties...

I shot 4 yotes one day with the 75HPBT muzzle velocity 2960 out to 400 yards. They died but in my instance they flopped around for quite a while. I had to dispatch 1 of them them with a 22 pistol And another with a head shot to keep from getting away. One was shot in chest at 75 yards and he was DRT no flopping. The other I dropped but couldn't find at 400 yards. There was massive damage to the 3 I picked up but for some odd reason they didn't die instantly. Just my experience, I know a lot of people have luck with them .. they shoot dang good too
I've had great results from Hornady 75gr BTHP. They are usually easy to find and usually on the less expensive side for premium bullets. They are what Hornady uses in their TAP ammo. They have good terminal ballistics at 2100fps+. And I believe due to there bearing surface they stabalize well in a 1x9 twist also. However a more knowledgeable member may confirm or correct that. But that has been my experience

I don't think the wrenches are going to fix that coyotes back (for predator 22). 52 GRN HP seems to work . One of the better compromise for .223Rem velocities .
Some bailing wire, a bit of duct tape and a shot of penicillin, good as new!

Have used several different bullets but the 45gr sierra spitzer has worked well for me from my 223. I use to load the Nos 60gr partition for coyote until the price went thru the roof..

I used the nosler 70 RDF last year in my 223ai and they did really well. Only shot a handful but frontal shots stoned them, no exit. Broadsides had maybe 2-3" exit. Went max of 15yds. About as fur friendly as you can get. 2950 for velocity.

If your rifle will shoot the 60gr Vmax well it does a nice job. Not always fur friendly but more so than some other offerings. I have one rifle that likes the 75 gr BTHP and I've also had good luck with that. I've had luck with it not exiting but I suspect if it does exit it will make a mess.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts