Building an AR-15 for Coyote - 24" barrel?

I"m with Ican., I had a 24 in bull barrel,yup, as heavy as it sounds on a nice DPMS rifle. It got to wear I didn't want to haul it around any more. I was gonna have the barrel chopped and recrowned but a buddy wanted it and gave me $ for what a 16 inch barrel would run. It's a bull 16" barrel that is much lighter then the 24, wish I had weighed them. Anyway, no loss of accuracy using Win. 55 gr. BST and Nikon M-223 3-12 Rapid action Turret scope. I had shot the 24 in. barrel to 623 yards and taken this one to 500 yards blowing up a 4inch jar of tannerite. I now use a DPMS Prairie Panther as my Coyote gun. Topped with a Nikon Coyote Special 4.5-14 Scope, it is has quickly become my favorite Coyote gun. Pretty too!

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/CoyoteSPrairepanther_2-3_zpse87cf809.jpg
I hear ya about the weight and having to lug it around. I will have to endure it for awhile. Initially, it's gonna be sweet getting it out and shooting it. I can't wait until the scope arrives. You're a Nikon guy. I ordered the Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50 BDC. Did I do well in ordering it? Is it a great scope for coyote?

I picked up a couple of magazines on Friday. They're made by Tango Down. They are the 20/10 type. I wasn't sure if I'd like them. They look and fit the mag well great! Now I'm still just waiting on the scope to arrive. If the website I ordered it from is correct, it should ship out on 4/17. Sadly, I'm sitting here waiting, itching to get it and sight the rifle in.

Last edited:
Ron, nice scope choice! That is a hot tickey item right now so congrats getting your hands on one. Make sure you go through Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to really dial in your scope,rifle and ammo. I have blown up 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 627 yards using the BDC reticle, so it really is capable of superb accuracy. I think you are going to be very happy with the choices you made. It's gonna be heavy but accurate. The last 3 years I have only missed 2 coyotes, both times I was playing with the Spot On app on my phone while hunting when I should have been watching the terrain. Post some pics when you get everything mounted then a range report after that.
Good luck!

Ron, nice scope choice! That is a hot tickey item right now so congrats getting your hands on one. Make sure you go through Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to really dial in your scope,rifle and ammo. I have blown up 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 627 yards using the BDC reticle, so it really is capable of superb accuracy. I think you are going to be very happy with the choices you made. It's gonna be heavy but accurate. The last 3 years I have only missed 2 coyotes, both times I was playing with the Spot On app on my phone while hunting when I should have been watching the terrain. Post some pics when you get everything mounted then a range report after that.
Good luck!
Bart, thanks for the feedback. I will be sure to follow up with pics. I have another question. What type/height rings should I get? AR-15 with Bushmaster Varminter upper (24" barrel) with flat top with 1/2" riser blocks and the Nikon 3 4-16x50m scope. Thanks.

Bart, thanks for the feedback. I will be sure to follow up with pics. I have another question. What type/height rings should I get? AR-15 with Bushmaster Varminter upper (24" barrel) with flat top with 1/2" riser blocks and the Nikon 3 4-16x50m scope. Thanks.

depends on the size of your face. With the blocks and an avg sized head I'd start with mediums.

I think you will be better off with an SPR style mount from Larue, Bobro, Leupold, ADM or nightforce than rings. They are much better and far more forgiving, you can remove and re-install your optic in seconds with no loss in zero.

Again, Agree with Ican. AR style mount should give you the height and allow easier mounting for proper eye relief. FYI, Nikon makes a M-223 AR Mount, 1 with 20 MOA for long range shooting ( what I would suggest for you) and one without. Look for the M-223 XR. A quality QD mount is nice but you'll pay over $200 for a good one. Think about how often you might be taking the scope off and that will be your answer as to how useful a QD mount will be for your needs.

When you get it all mounted up, measure mid bore to middle of scope. That is the number you'll use in Spot On to get the most accuracy.

Here's a pic of one of my AR's with a MONARCH scope and Nikon M-223 XR mount. Makes for an easy cheek weld and quick target acquisition.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/204Ruger.jpg

I think you will be better off with an SPR style mount from Larue, Bobro, Leupold, ADM or nightforce than rings. They are much better and far more forgiving, you can remove and re-install your optic in seconds with no loss in zero.
Thanks ICAN, gonna check out the SPR mounts you mentioned.

Again, Agree with Ican. AR style mount should give you the height and allow easier mounting for proper eye relief. FYI, Nikon makes a M-223 AR Mount, 1 with 20 MOA for long range shooting ( what I would suggest for you) and one without. Look for the M-223 XR. A quality QD mount is nice but you'll pay over $200 for a good one. Think about how often you might be taking the scope off and that will be your answer as to how useful a QD mount will be for your needs.

When you get it all mounted up, measure mid bore to middle of scope. That is the number you'll use in Spot On to get the most accuracy.

Here's a pic of one of my AR's with a MONARCH scope and Nikon M-223 XR mount. Makes for an easy cheek weld and quick target acquisition.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/204Ruger.jpg
That is a sweet looking rifle you have! By the way, I looked at the various mounts that you and ICAN mentioned. I've decided to go with the M-223. I like the mount. I don't plan on taking the scope off. So I won't need a QD. And I like the 20 MOA. And it's on Amazon for $67. A Win Win!

Sounds like you will soon be heading tot he range! I'm sure you are looking forward to it. Make sure you post some pics and let us know what you think.
Good luck!

Well, I just found out that my scope is not arriving until the 1st week of June now!So, looks like I have nother 6 to 7 weeks of waiting. Hoping Nikon doesn't delay the release any more.

I received the Nikon M-223 XR scope mount. It looks great! It's solid and sturdy. I attached a couple of pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.