Build around a 6.5mm Barrel for a GREAT Hunting Rifle.

6.5 Sherman Max 🤣 Seriously though, I love mine, and that length (26" finished) would suite it pretty well for a fast punch. Clymr stock shouldn't look bad if the brake isn't too long. For more traditional, go PRC. I don't like to go less than a PRC for elk use. Shorten barrel to 24" if desired. Mine runs the 123 AH at 3,500 with H1000 with a 24" tube. Pretty sure we could go faster if we played with other options.
THAT is incredible velocity, wish I could duplicate those numbers. I have ran just about every powder in a 6.5 Max with the 123 AH and regardless of powder used, I am seeing significant pressure at roughly 3200. I do only have 22" of a Proof Carbon barrel but certainly 2" would not equate to 300 fps. What brand barrel do you run?

6.5C, 24" barrel in a Grayboe Terrain stock. Action Defiance Deviant or anTI with a trigger of your choice. Makes a great deer hunting and Steel Silhouette match rifle.

6.5 SS
26" plus brake
Kelbly Nanook SA
Hawkins Hunter DBM w. Accurate WSM mag
Manners EH1 w. ultralight cheek piece
TriggerTech Diamond or Bix N Andy Tac Sport Pro
ARC M10 rings
Tangent Theta TT315M

If money was of no matter, I'd use the current barrel for another project as I find a #4 heavier than I want to pack. I'd go with a Hawk Hill #2, 7.5 twist, 23.5", 6.5/284 chambered to shoot 156 EOL. Defiance Anti action, McMillan Classic or Game Scout in Edge fill, BDL bottom metal.

Seekins or ARC M10 rings with a 2.5-10x42 NXS on it to round things out.
I second the 6.5x284, absolutely love that caliber! I also second it being chambered for the 156 EOL. I would flute the barrel and cut it down to 24" to cut some weight. For stock, personally I would like to see it in a manners UC-Plus. As far as actions I personally don't think you can go wrong with a Defiance.

On a side note, I hope your complications from your surgeries get resolved and get back to "normal" or what might be the new normal soon. Hope you guys have a great holiday season, Merry Christmas.

Spiral flute cut barrel to cut weight.

6.5 saum

Manners EHSL or EH3 stock.

24 inch barrel without brake or 23 plus hawkins brake.

Mine is on short action with extended box.

Shoot hammer 124s or berger 140 hybrids.

Flute or turn barrel to reduce weight, cut to 24".
6.5/06 imp 40 degree shoulder. (Since I have dies)
Winchester model 70 or Kimber action.
Timney trigger.
Bell and Carlson stock.
Would be simple and effective on game up to and including elk.

I second the 6.5x284, absolutely love that caliber! I also second it being chambered for the 156 EOL. I would flute the barrel and cut it down to 24" to cut some weight. For stock, personally I would like to see it in a manners UC-Plus. As far as actions I personally don't think you can go wrong with a Defiance.

On a side note, I hope your complications from your surgeries get resolved and get back to "normal" or what might be the new normal soon. Hope you guys have a great holiday season, Merry Christmas.
Muley the SCS Implants in my neck are still not working to what I need for pain relief. There are many "Electronic Programs" the techs from NERVO are testing to try to get the correct nerves. Takes about a week for each change to take effect and to get results. Just had a "Program" change yesterday and it is helping more than the previous programs.
We have a 6.5X284 Reamer coming in within a month. I really like the .260 & 6.5X284. Also interested in the 6.5 SS Sherman.
Darryle brought up a good idea with a 280AI X 6.5.
As for barrel weight I don't see a #4 too heavy, but I am used to heavy barrels. This rifle will be sold so it may be too heavy for some hunters.
Thanks for the input.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family!!!!!!!!

THAT is incredible velocity, wish I could duplicate those numbers. I have ran just about every powder in a 6.5 Max with the 123 AH and regardless of powder used, I am seeing significant pressure at roughly 3200. I do only have 22" of a Proof Carbon barrel but certainly 2" would not equate to 300 fps. What brand barrel do you run?
It's a Bartlein Carbon. 3,495 fps to be exact with H1000. 24" barrel & Terminator brake. It does seem like a faster barrel. N560 would likely light it up some more...maybe. This load is just under sign of pressure.

Photo before cerakoting. And the loaded round to the left of a Creed. COAL 3.0125"

Attachments

• 6.5 Sherman Max with March CT.jpg
    6.5 Sherman Max with March CT.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 132
  • 6.5 Sherman Max 123 AH vs 6.5 Creed 124 HH.jpg
    6.5 Sherman Max 123 AH vs 6.5 Creed 124 HH.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 87
Cutting back a gain twist you'll loose some of your final twist. It's not even 7.75 now. If it finishes at around 8 you'll cut out some of the heavies.